White Chocolate Popcorn is the perfect holiday treat with its combination of sweet and salty. It comes together in minutes and your friends and neighbors will love it.
Today’s recipe is the perfect last minute holiday food gift. It uses microwave popcorn so it is quick to put together.
A few holiday seasons ago my friend Jeanne dropped by a bag of this yummy popcorn. We loved it and in fact I am not sure the family even got to eat any of it because I think I consumed most of it myself!
What is White Chocolate Popcorn?
It’s delicious. It is also popcorn covered in white chocolate and mixed with pretzels, peanuts, marshmallows and chocolate candy!I
- Popcorn. I use two bags of microwave popcorn but you could also pop your own. You will need 1 cup of unpopped popcorn to yield the same amount.
- White Chocolate. I often use “almond bark” which is found in the baking aisles during the holiday. You can also use white chocolate chips or vanilla candy melts by Wilton.
- Pretzels. We. prefer the stick pretzels but any shape will do.
- Peanuts. Salted peanuts are our preference, but you could also add in your favorite salted nut.
- Chocolate Candy. I usually use M & M’s but you could also use Sixlets, Reeses Pieces or whatever you prefer.
- Marshmallows. Use the mini marshmallows
How to Make White Chocolate Popcorn
Place popped corn in a large bowl. Be sure and remove all the unpopped popcorn kernels.
Add in marshmallows and pretzels. I break the pretzels up a bit.
- Add in peanuts and chocolate candy.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave or in a sauce pan on the stove top. Stir until smooth and completely melted.
- Pour chocolate over popcorn.
- Stir to completely coat ingredients with chocolate.
- Pour mixture onto a piece of parchment paper or a baking sheet. Spread into a single layer and allow to dry.
- To make it a little prettier, sprinkle a few more chocolate candies on top or add some colored sprinkles on top.
- After it has dried and set up break the popcorn into pieces.
- Place it in a bowl and enjoy.
If you are going to give this away as a gift, package it in a free gift tag download for you! Download free printable here.
Frequently Asked Questions
When kept stored in an airtight container it is good for several weeks. Of course it never lasts that long at our house!
I usually use my microwave. Use a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, white chocolate burns more quickly than semi sweet or milk chocolate. You can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate on the stove top.
If your chocolate does not melt smoothly and you end up with some lumps, add in a little vegetable or coconut oil and stir again.
If you want to pop your own popcorn instead of using microwave popcorn, you will need 1/2 cup of popcorn for per microwave bag. So a total of 1 cup of unpopped popcorn will yield the same amount of popcorn as two bags of microwave popcorn.
Popcorn Mix Ins and Variations
Grinch Popcorn. Use Wilton green melts to give the popcorn a green color and then add in either red hots or red M & M’s for a fun “Grinch themed” popcorn.
Fall Popcorn. Add in fall colored M & M’s or Sixlet candies instead of the red and green.
Melted Snowman Popcorn. Add in mini Reese’s Peanut Butter cups for the snowman’s hat and some googly eyes. The pretzel sticks make the perfect snowman arms.
Some of my other favorite popcorn recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
White Chocolate Popcorn
- 2 bags microwave popcorn butter kind
- 12 oz. white chocolate chips melted
- 3/4 cup chocolate candies Sixlets, M & M’s etc.
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- 1 1/2 cup stick pretzels
- 1 cup mini marshmallows I wish I had used more
- 6 oz. dark or milk chocolate optional, for drizzling.
- Pop popcorn in microwave, remove unpopped kernels.
- Put popcorn in a big bowl.
- Melt chocolate in microwave or on stove top
- Add in M & M’s, peanuts, marshmallows and pretzels into bowl with popcorn. Stir to combine.
- Pour melted chocolate over popcorn and mix to coat popcorn mixture with white chocolate.
- Spread popcorn onto two jelly roll pans or cookie sheets or onto parchment paper.
- Optional: Top with a few additional chocolate candies or drizzle with melted semi sweet chocolate.
- Allow to set up or refrigerate for 10 minutes. Munch away!
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted December 17, 2013