Strawberry Cream Pie is the perfect summer time dessert. A delicious creamy filling topped with fresh strawberries and a strawberry glaze.
We love this pie so much at our house that I came up with a Strawberry Cream Pie for Two version so that Jim and I can still enjoy the pie without being tempted to eat too much pie!
June is strawberry season here in Portland and this year the strawberry crop has been awesome. Our own little strawberry patch in the garden has been producing like crazy and every morning I can go out and pick a bowl full. Because of that I’ve been able to make a lot of our strawberry favorites like that Strawberry Pizza I shared a few weeks ago and Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream.
You have options when you make this delicious strawberry cream pie. You can make it with a graham cracker crust or with a pastry crust. I prefer a graham cracker crust but if you want to use a pastry crust be sure and use my Perfect Pie Crust Tutorial and check out the video at the end of the post. They both are delicious, you’ll have to try it both ways and let me know.
This particular strawberry pie has an added surprise in it which is a delicious layer of cream cheese filling! This recipe is from my friend April and since she first brought it to a party at our house years ago and it has become a regularly requested pie around our house. It is always on the menu for Father’s Day.
There are 3 steps to this pie. The crust, the glaze and the filling. It does need to chill for 3 hours so plan ahead.
How to Make a Strawberry Cream Pie
- Make a graham cracker crust. You can buy a premade one at the store but it is so easy to make at home and so much better. You can follow my graham cracker crust tutorial for more details.
- Mix together the cream cheese filling. It is a combination of cream cheese, whipped cream, sugar and vanilla. Start with softened cream cheese. This filling is so good, I could eat it by itself but adding the berries is even better.
- Spread filling into the graham cracker crust and let it chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set up a bit.
- Arrange whole berries on top of cream cheese mixture pressing them lightly into the cream cheese layer. Since the berries came from my garden they were not all perfect and uniform like the ones you may find in the story but they were so delicious!
- Mix together mashed strawberries, water, cornstarch and sugar in a small sauce pan.
- Stir the glaze over medium heat until it turns shiny and glossy. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn. Allow it to cool until room temperature.
- Pour glaze over the strawberries. Chill pie until ready to eat, at least a couple of hours.
All that is left to do is grab a fork and dig it!
This pie is a sure sign it is summer at our house. When one of my kids saw the photo on Instagram I received a test asking that I had to make it again when they came home to visit! You won’t find any argument from me!
Check out these delicious strawberry desserts:
Strawberry Cream Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs this is one package of graham crackers, 8 sheets
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/4 C shortening
- pinch of salt
- ice cold water add teaspoon by teaspoon until right consistency has formed
- 1 C strawberries mashed
- 1 C sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 C water
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 C heavy cream whipped
- 4 C whole strawberries
Graham Cracker Crust
- Combine the above ingredients and press firmly into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool.
- Place flour, salt, butter and shortening in bowl.
- Use your hands to combine ingredients until small pebbles form
- Add cold water a teaspoon at a time until the dough begins to hold together and form a ball.
- Do not over handle the dough. Dough should be soft, moist but not wet.
- Place ball of dough onto wax paper and flatten. Place another piece of wax paper over the top and roll out the pastry into a circle. If your pie pan is 9 inch make sure your circle is bigger than 9 inches so you have enough for the edging..
- Remove the top layer of wax paper and place pastry into pie tin. Remove other piece of wax paper and press pastry into pan. Use your fingers to crimp the edge of the crust.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to firm up the pastry. This helps prevent pastry from shrinking during baking.
- Prick the bottom of crust to prevent bubbling during baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees. For the first 10-12 minutes keep the edges of pie covered with foil and then remove for the last 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown.
- Crush 1 cup strawberries. Combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Add water and crushed strawberries. Cook and stir over medium heat to boiling, stir constantly until clear and slightly thickened.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar. Stir in vanilla.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly in cooled crust. Refrigerate
- Place whole strawberries stem side down on top of creamed filling, pressing slightly.
- Spoon glaze over the berries. Chill for 3 hours.
Originally shared June 2008
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.