Create a delicious Chicken Caprese Sandwich with grilled chicken, fresh tomatoes, basil and cheese topped with a pesto mayo and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Salad Turned Sandwich
I love to use fresh ingredients out of our garden, and this sandwich came to be when I had an abundance of basil and tomatoes. We make a lot of caprese salads, so I decided to turn that yummy salad into a delicious sandwich using grilled chicken and sliced cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Grilled chicken breasts
- Fresh Basil
- Ciabatta Rolls
- Mozzarella Cheese or Colby Jack Cheese
- Balsamic Vinegar
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- Choose your Bread. Ciabatta bread is perfect for this sandwiches because it holds up really well under the weight of the chicken breast. You could also use a sliced crusty French or sour dough bread.
- Top the roll with grilled chicken
- Add a layer of pesto mayo.
- Add fresh tomato, cheese and fresh basil.
- Finish it off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Do I Have to Grill My Chicken?
If you prefer, you can use any kind of chicken, even shredded chicken be used. You can also bake the chicken in the oven or cook it on the stove top. This is a perfect sandwich to make with leftover chicken.
Chicken Caprese Panini
If you prefer a hot sandwich you can easily make this into a panini by grilling it in pan on the stove or using a panini press.
This sandwich is delicious and holds up so well in a lunch bag. Just be sure to add in an ice pack or refrigerate the sandwich until lunch time to keep the cheese fresh and the mayo chilled.
Check out more of my delicious sandwich recipes:
Chicken Caprese Sandwich Recipe
Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- 2 chicken breasts grilled
- 1 tomato sliced
- fresh basil
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 8 slices Mozzarella cheese
- balsamic vinegar to drizzle
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 Tbsp pesto
- Grill chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Cool chicken and slice each breast into two pieces, horizontally and then vertically. You will have 8 pieces of chicken, two for each roll.
- Place chicken on sliced roll
- Combine mayo and pesto until smooth
- Top chicken with Pesto Mayo
- Add tomato, cheese, fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Combine 1/4 c mayo and pesto, stir to combine