Orange scones are a delicious addition to any breakfast or brunch.
These delicious orange scone are sweet, light and tender. The addition of an amazing orange glaze takes them to the next level!
So I think I have mentioned before that I have a tendency to get on “flavor kicks.” When I crave a certain flavor over and over. Lately it’s been orange. Orange creamsicle to be more exact.
Remember those lovely orange creamsicle cookies? So good.
And then there are those orange creamsicle muffins we’ve been making.
These Orange Scones have an extra little surprise hiding inside of them – white chocolate chips! They add just the right amount of sweetness to the scones and give them a creamsicle like flavor.
These scones are everything a scone should be. They are light and tender giving them amazing texture and they have lots of flavor thanks to the orange juice and rind, the white chocolate chips and the amazing orange glaze.
They turned out quite lovely if I do say so myself. In fact they were so lovely that I was tempted to eat the entire batch myself. Lucky for me I had a bridal shower at my house and they were perfect for our tea party theme.
The recipe makes 8 large scones or 16 smaller scones which I opted for since they were for a party.
They would also be quite delicious served with some orange marmalade for more orange goodness or some lemon curd would also be an excellent choice. Add a dollop of Devonshire cream if you want to bring out your inner anglophile. A nice cup of tea and you are ready to entertain the Queen.
Just remember that the trick to nice light and flaky scones is to not overwork the dough.
Some of my other favorite brunch treats:
Some of my favorite kitchen tools I use to make ORANGE SCONES:
6 PIECE MEASURING CUP SET – Everyone needs at least one set of measuring cups, I have 4 sets!
MAGNETIC MEASURING SPOONS – I love these things. They are magnetic so they stay together in the drawer!
PARCHMENT PAPER SHEETS – These precut sheets of parchment paper are a total time saver in the kitchen.
Orange Scones Recipe
- 3 C unbleached flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C milk
- 1/4 C whipping cream
- 1/8 C fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 C white chocolate chips
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1/8 C orange juice
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar
- Cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and using a pastry blender or a fork cut into dry ingredients
- Add in 1 cup of white chocolate chips
- In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, whipping cream, orange juice, and orange zest
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead to combine
- Do not overwork the dough
- Divide the dough into two
- Shape each half of the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick and then cut each half into four wedges
- Pull the wedges apart just a bit and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Best eaten warm but taste yummy later too!
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!