For years I bought my salad dressing but once I started making homemade salad dressing I rarely buy it anymore!
We eat salad with dinner every-night, usually a spinach salad. We have the rule at our house that there must always be something green on your plate. Sometimes it is only one or two green beans or a couple of leaves of lettuce for some of the kids (Clark!) but there must be some green!
Today’s recipe is one of those basic recipes that everyone should have. It can be a starting point, a recipe to be played with and tweaked or it is yummy just the way it is! It only takes a few minutes to mix up and is so much better than store bought and cheaper too!
Here are the basic ingredients:
You can tweak away to your hearts content.
- Use sugar instead of honey
- Use a flavored vinegar such as raspberry or red wine or just use plain old white vinegar instead of balsamic
- Use a spicy mustard instead of Dijon
- Leave the garlic out – the original recipe did.
- Add some dried onion or some Italian seasoning or any other herbs you like.
- And yes, I only use fresh lemon juice. Fresh lemons are part of my regular shopping list. I don’t always know how I am going to use them but I always do!
Just play with it and see what you like best
Mix up your favorite combination, put it in a pretty container (or not) and pour over salad. We like a combination of spinach and fresh spring greens. I usually throw a handful of toasted almonds and craisinets on top too. If I am feeling energetic I will even slice up an apple or pear!
What’s your favorite salad dressing?
My “Go To” Salad Dressing – Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- Scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- Mix well
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.