Bunny Brittle is a fun combination of cookie bark and malted milk ball eggs. The perfect Easter brittle.
I am a huge malted milk ball fan and one of my favorite Easter candy’s are those yummy malted milk ball eggs. Using the malted milk ball eggs to make Bunny brittle was pretty much pure genius on my part! The Bunny Brittle is a thin and crispy version of a cookie, topped with Easter candy.
In addition to the malted milk ball eggs I also used malted milk powder. You can find it in grocery aisle with the hot chocolate and chocolate powdered drink mix. It adds a subtle malt flavor to the cookie that I love.
I love this stuff and it always disappears quickly when I take it to a party. The dough is similar to a shortbread (there are no eggs). The addition of malted milk powder, mini chocolate chips and crushed up malted milk ball eggs not only makes it delicious but gives great crunch and texture too. Of course if it is not Easter time and the eggs aren’t available in the stores just use regular malted milk balls!
How to Make Bunny Brittle
- Cream together butter, sugars, vanilla and salt.
- Add in flour, salt, malted milk powder, 1 cup crushed malted milk balls and mini chocolate chips. Mix to combine. The dough may seem a little dry initially but just keep mixing it until the dough comes together.
- Press the dough into a 15 x 10 inch baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes or until it is golden brown, you want it to be crispy and crunchy. I discovered that the malted milk version doesn’t get quite a crispy as some of the others I make due to the malted milk balls melting in the dough but it is still just as delicious, just a little chewier.
After the brittle cooled I drizzled it with some yellow Wilton Melts and then sprinkled a cup of crushed malted milk ball eggs over the top.
Be sure and sprinkle the malted milk ball eggs over the areas where the chocolate is drizzled. The chocolate provides the glue for the malted milk ball eggs.
What bunny could resist a piece of Malted Milk Ball Bunny Brittle?
Check out more fun Easter treats:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Easter Brittle Recipe
Malted Milk Ball Bunny Brittle
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malt powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup malted milk ball eggs smashed
- 2 oz. white chocolate melted to drizzle
- 1/2 cup malted milk ball to sprinkle on top
- Mix together butter, vanilla, and sugars and beat until blended.
- Add in flour, salt, malted milk powder chocolate chips and 1 C crushed malted milk balls.
- Press into an ungreased 15 x 10 jelly roll style cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- If it is not crisp enough return the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with 2 oz. of white chocolate and sprinkle with 1/2 C chopped malted milk balls
- After cool and chocolate is set, break into pieces.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!