This sweet and tangy JDawg sauce is the perfect thing to serve on a grilled hot dog. A copycat recipe from a favorite hot dog spot in Utah.
What is JDawg Sauce?
JDawgs began as a little hot dog hut just south of Brigham Young University campus. It has grown into a full size restaurant chain for those college students who started it. It was always one of our favorite places to visit when we were dropping or picking up kids from college and there was usually a line of at least 10 people waiting.
The secret to a JDawg is the sauce. It is a sweet southern barbeque sauce.
How to Cook Hot Dogs
- Grilled. At JDawgs, their hot dogs are always grilled. Place on medium hot grill, turning occasionally to brown all sides. About 5 minutes.
- Boiled. This is the way my mom always did it. Use a large saucepan and fill with water. Bring to a boil and add hot dogs. Boil for 4-5 minutes. Hot dogs are fully cooked and just need to be heated through.
- Oven Baked. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. With a knife, cut halfway through the hot dog.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until hot dog starts to curl and lightly brown.
- Pan fried. Add a small amount of water to a pan set over medium-high heat. Add the dogs to the skillet once the water starts to gently boil and cook. Turn the hot dogs regularly to brown evenly.
- Microwave. Cook one hot dog on high for 45 seconds. For each additional dog, add 15 to 20 seconds to the cook time. Poke the hot dog with a few holes to prevent it from bursting open.
JDawg Sauce Ingredients
- BBQ Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Onion Powder
How to Make JDawg Sauce
Combine all ingredients. Keep stored in refrigerator until ready to use.
How Long Does the Sauce Last?
Stored in an airtight container it will last up to three weeks in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen for up to six months.
Other Hot Dog Toppings:
- Hamburger Sauce, We also love to make homemade hotdog buns using this recipe.
- Chopped or grilled onions
- And for more ideas for your hot dog check out this Hot Dog Bar post.
Check out these other delicious condiments and sauces:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Mix together and enjoy!
- Keep refrigerated
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted July 28, 2010
Leave a Review