Soft and chewy these Drop Sugar Cookies are easy and delicious and the perfect solution to that sugar cooking craving. No frosting is required but a few sprinkles can be fun. The best part is there is no chilling, no rolling, no cutting!
I have several other amazing sugar cookies on the blog. A couple of my favorites are these Chocolate Sugar Cookies, Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies, and if you prefer a nice thick, soft sugar cookie try these Lofthouse Copycat Sugar Cookies.
The Perfect Sugar Cookie
I love a good sugar cookie and for me a good sugar cookie is slightly crisp on the edges and chewy the rest of the way through. Next to a chocolate chip cookie, a sugar cookie is my favorite cookie.
A good sugar cookie should stand on it’s own. It should be delicious with or without frosting . The perfect sugar cookie should also be able to be made and consumed whenever the craving hits, I don’t want to have to wait two hours for the dough to chill. I also want it to be quick. There is definitely a place and time for a rolled and frosted sugar cookie, but when the sugar cookie craving hits, I want it quick!
This Easy Drop Sugar Cookie fits all my criteria for the perfect sugar cookie. No chilling, no rolling, no cutting. It’s crispy on the edges and chewy the rest of the way through. I can enjoy them just as they are or add a few sprinkles if the mood hits.
How to Make Drop Sugar Cookies
Let your butter sit out for about 15 -20 minutes, you don’t want it too hard or too soft. If your butter is too soft your cookies will spread too much. Cut butter into small pieces.
Beat sugar and butter together until just creamed. Add in remaining ingredients and just mix until combined. Don’t over mix cookie dough, it makes your cookies tough. I only use my mixer on low or medium low to make sure I don’t over mix the cookie dough.
Use a scoop to form balls of dough. Roll into sprinkles if desired.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10-11 minutes. Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then move them to a cooling rack.
Drop Sugar Cookie Variations
- Crispy or soft. If you want a really soft and chewy cookie, bake them for 10, if you want them slightly crisp on the edges and soft in the middle, bake for 11 minutes. If you want a crisper cookie bake for 12 minutes.
- Add some sparkle. Instead of sprinkles, roll cookie dough balls into granulated sugar before baking to give them a little extra shine.
- Flavor variation. Use almond extract instead of vanilla extract – one of my favorite variations.
- Cookie spread. If you find that your cookies are spreading more than you’d like due to warm weather, warm butter etc, chill the dough for 30 minutes.
I am a big believer that sugar cookies are not just for the holidays and this easy drop sugar cookie recipe makes them doable all year long.
For some other favorite cookies recipes try these:
- Cranberry Orange Cookies
- Maple Cookies
- Toffee Almond CookiesFor all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store. Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Drop Sugar Cookie Recipe
If you’ve tried these Easy Drop Sugar Cookies or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!