Now that St. Patrick’s Day is over and we are tired of mint and key lime flavors – lemon season can officially begin! I am so excited. If you’ve hung around here for any length of time you know how much I love lemon. I think if I had to pick one all time favorite flavor it would be LEMON! So get ready for some lemon recipes. But before I share some new lemon recipes with you I decided we needed to revisit and show a little love to one of the first lemon recipes I shared here on the blog, Lemon Drop Cookies. I originally shared this recipe just a few months after I started this blog in 2007 . I have been making it ever since. It’s a good one.
This lemon cookie is full of lemon goodness. You use crushed up lemon drops (not to be confused with Lemon Heads!) to give it an amazing lemon flavor.
Of course I like to always add in a little extra lemon love with my lemon essential oil. (not all essentials oils can be taken internally so please use doTERRA essential oils) For more info on DoTerra Essential Oils go here.
Form the dough into balls and then use a fork to press down slightly.
After they cool they are given even more lemon goodness with a nice lemon glaze. You want this slightly runny so it spreads nicely.
This recipe also makes a LOT of cookies so be prepared to share. I originally made this cookie at Christmas time but it is a perfect year round cookie.
If you love lemon like I do you will love these cookies!
For other lemon goodness try these:
Lemon Drop Cookie Recipe
Lemon Drop Cookies
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 c butter/shortening I used 1/2 c butter and 1 c shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- finely chopped zest of 1 lemon
- 6 oz. package crushed lemon drops
- 1 cup powdered sugar I doubled this
- juice of 1 lemon double
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream sugar and shortening in your mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and flavoring and blend well.
- Sift dry ingredients and gradually add to wet mixture.
- Add lemon zest and crushed lemon drops.
- Roll in balls, flatten with a fork.
- Bake on parchment paper for 10-12 minutes.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze.
- Cool 1-2 minutes, brush with glaze.