This delicious Winter Salad is packed with flavor. Packed with diced chicken, chopped apples, dried cranberries, candied walnuts and gorgonzola cheese, this salad make a great meal.
Last week I attended the “Angel Tree Project,” an event sponsored by the Oregon Chapter of American Mothers. I am currently serving as one of the Vice Presidents for the Oregon Chapter. It is a wonderful group that encourages, supports and recognizes mothers and families. Please check out their website for more info – they have chapters in other states also. As part of the “Angel Tree Project” we purchase and wrap gifts for children of prison inmates. Following the gift wrapping we had a potluck luncheon. I had cut out a new recipe for a Winter Chopped Salad the previous Tuesday from the Oregonian’s FoodDay. Tuesday is my favorite day to read the paper because of the FoodDay section! I decided to give the new recipe a try.
Well – it was a huge hit – it was quick and easy to prepare and everyone loved it. Because it has chicken in it all you need to do is add a loaf of crunchy, yummy bread and you have a complete meal. The girls tasted the leftovers I brought home and liked it so much they asked me to make it for dinner too.
In addition to tasting good, it is also a pretty salad. The red from the radicchio and the dried cranberries add great color and who doesn’t like to eat pretty food (so don’t skimp on the radicchio!)
Winter Salad Recipe
Chopped Winter Salad
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 head radicchio cored and finely chopped
- 2 head romaine lettuce finely chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds cooked chicken breasts skin and bones removed, cut into 1 inch dice (about 2-3 cups) (I was short on time so I bought the precooked "Just Chicken" from the deli section of Trader Joe's - it is so moist and yummy!)
- 1 Fuji Apple gala, or pink lady apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup candied walnuts coarsely chopped (you can also purchase these at Trader Joe's or it is easy to candy your own!)
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbled
To make dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, honey, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
To make Salad:
- Place the radicchio, romaine, chicken, apple, cranberries, nuts and cheese in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with pepper, if desired and serve
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.