This Winter Salad is packed full of flavor and texture from the radicchio to the Gorgonzola and finished perfectly with a homemade honey Dijon dressing. Serve as a side salad or as a main dish for dinner or lunch.
This salad is perfect served as a side salad or as a main dish. This Winter Salad checks off all the boxes of great flavor, color and texture. I also love this Ginger Skirt Steak Salad as a main dish and this Romaine Lettuce Salad as a side salad. You can find all my salad recipes here.
I tend to get a little lazy with my side dishes and salads in the winter, mainly because I don’t have fresh veggies in my backyard garden and I’m not making weekly trips to the local Farmer’s Market. As a result, I tend to not eat as many salads in the winter. One of my goals for the new year is to eat more of them and this winter salad is the perfect solution.
Winter Salad Ingredients
- Lettuce – I used a combination romaine lettuce and also radicchio which gives the salad some great color. Radicchio is not the same as red cabbage although it looks similar.
- Fruit – A crispy apple like a Honey Crisp is perfect and I also used some dried cranberries.
- Nuts – I tend to use walnuts more in the winter but you can substitute in your favorite nut. I like to candy the walnuts and you can read how to do that here.
- Cheese – I used Gorgonzola because I don’t like Feta but if you are a Feta fan – go for it!
- Meat – If you are serving this for lunch or as a main dish, add shredded chicken but it can be served without meat also. You can make your shredded chicken in the microwave, in the Instant Pot or in the slow cooker.
I recently served this at a lunch for an organization I am part of and it was a huge hit and everyone loved it. The best part was how quick and easy it was to prepare. Because it has chicken in it all you need to do is add a loaf of crunchy, yummy bread and you have a complete meal. My girls tasted the leftovers I brought home and liked it so much they asked me to make it for dinner too.
How to Make Winter Salad
This salad is totally customizable:
- Spinach or lettuce
- Pears or apples
- Dried blueberries or cranberries
- Blue Cheese or Gorgonzola
- Candied Pecans or walnuts.
- Leftover steak, pork or chicken
The possibilities are endless! Make it your own!
After chopping and combining all your salad ingredients, just add your dressing.
Chopped Winter Salad Dressing
The recipe comes with a delicious salad dressing that is light and flavorful. The dressing is a combination of:
- Dijon mustard
- White wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
Some of these other delicious salad recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Winter Salad Recipe
Chopped Winter Salad
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 small head radicchio cored and finely chopped
- 2 heads romaine lettuce finely chopped
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken breasts
- 1 apple Gala or Honey Crisp, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup candied walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbled
To make dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, honey, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
To make Salad:
- Place the radicchio, romaine, chicken, apple, cranberries, nuts and cheese in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with pepper, if desired and serve