Create this delicious Chinese Chicken Salad easily at home. A sweet and tangy Asian vinaigrette along with romaine, almonds, sesame seeds, wonton strips and chicken combine for a delicious meal!
Copycat Panera Bread Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
This salad has it all – taste, texture, crunch, flavor, color, sweet, savory and it’s delicious. It’s the perfect make at home version of my favorite Panera Bakery salad.
For me the true mark of a good salad is the perfect combination of flavor and texture and this salad has it.
In this salad you’ve got sesame oil, ginger, cilantro, mandarin oranges. The salad is topped with wonton strips, almonds and sesame seeds which add crunch and texture.
How to Make Chinese Chicken Salad
- Mix together chicken marinade. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic and garlic powder.
- Allow chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator and up to 4 hours.
- Grill chicken and slice.
Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing
- Mix together dressing ingredients and blend in a blender.
- Combine spinach and lettuce, add in oranges and dressing. Top with chicken and almonds, won ton strips and cilantro.
Frequently Asked Questions:
This salad would also be delicious with shrimp or even thinly sliced beef or pork on top.
You can bake the chicken in the oven or use a grill pan on the stove top. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until chicken reaches 160 degrees F. Allow to sit for a few minutes before slicing.
This recipe calls for only 30 minutes but you can marinade for up to 4 hours.
Salad Tips and Tricks
- Use different types of greens for variety. Romaine, spinach, arugula, sliced cabbage, or a spring mix would all work great.
- Make Ahead. Marinade and cook your chicken ahead of time and keep refrigerated after cooking. Slice before serving to keep it from drying out. Make your dressing ahead of time too. Assemble salad right before serving.
- For a delicious side salad, serve it without the grilled chicken.
Enjoy these other Asian inspired salads.
Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 4 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- cilantro chopped
- 11 oz. mandarin oranges drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- wonton strips
- sesame seeds
- Combine chicken marinade ingredients together and marinade chicken for 30 minutes.
- Grill chicken and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into slices
- Combine ingredients together and shake until combined
- Add together lettuce and spinach. Top with chicken, salad dressing and garnishes.