This Brown Butter Ravioli is the perfect 20 minute weeknight meal. Whether you serve it as your main dish or as a side dish, this is a good choice any night of the week. The flavor factor is off the charts with brown butter, crispy sage, balsamic vinegar and a topping of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Brown Butter Ravioli with Sage and Balsamic
This dish has been a family favorite at our house for years and was one of the very first recipes I ever shared here on the blog. If you want a little laugh scroll to the very bottom of the post and check out my photo!! I first had a similar dish at a high end restaurant and went home and made my own version, it quickly became one of our go to weeknight meals.
- Ravioli – When I make this as main dish I use a meat filled ravioli such as chicken. We like the Chicken and Cheese one at Costco. If I am serving it as a side dish I will use a cheese or vegetable filled ravioli. Butternut Squash ravioli is one of our favorites. I buy fresh or frozen ravioli. The fresh ravioli is found in the deli section of the grocery store. If you can’t find ravioli you could use gnocchi or tortellini but I like ravioli the best.
- Sage – I just recently started adding sage into this dish and the flavor takes it over the top! I’ll never go back. I think the sage is my favorite part of this dish. Cooking it in the brown butter makes it crispy and so delicious.
- Balsamic Vinegar – A drizzle of this over the warm ravioli is heaven. Of course, if you don’t like balsamic vinegar just leave it off. If you have balsamic glaze that will also work.
- Parmesan Cheese – Add a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese at the very end, allowing it to melt into your ravioli. Dinner is ready!!
What is Brown Butter?
I like to call it liquid gold!! Officially, brown butter is what happens when you cook butter long enough so that the butter solids get all toasty and delicious, but not so long that they burn. There is a fine line between brown butter and burnt butter. Be sure and follow my detailed brown butter tutorial that can be found here.
How to Make Brown Butter Ravioli
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the ravioli. Boil for about 5 minutes or according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Place butter in a frying pan and brown. Add in sage and ravioli and cook until sage is crispy and ravioli begins to brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to gently turn the ravioli. Don’t stir it.
- Place ravioli on a plate, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This is definitely a Wilkes Family Favorite. In fact, we usually have to count out the ravioli and divide them evenly so that no one gets more than their share! If you are using it as a side dish, I love to serve it with Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin or Balsamic Pork Tenderloin.
If you are looking for some other delicious side dishes try these
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Brown Butter Ravioli
Originally posted January 28, 2009
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
My original photo from this post!