Making Bread in a Bag is going to become a favorite activity! Little kids and big kids alike will love making their own loaf of bread. Be sure to check out Ice Cream in a Bag too!
This summer I am going to have a fun little series for you – Kids Can Cook. Summer is a great time to spend some time in the kitchen with your kids. Hopefully your schedules are a little slower and you can take advantage of that by spending some fun time in the kitchen.
A few summers ago I held a Kids Cooking Camp at my home and it was so much fun. Kids love to cook if we just give them a chance!
So throughout the summer I will share with you some fun recipes and tips for cooking with your kids because Kids Can Cook!
Our first recipe is for Bread in a Bag. This is a fun activity/recipe we did at my cooking camp a few years ago. The kids LOVED it!
I enlisted three of the cutest little girls who just happen to be sisters from church to come and play with me in the kitchen.
Tip One: Make sure the recipe is readable and accessible. I covered my table with parchment paper and then wrote the ingredients on the paper so the girls could easily see it. Also, have all the ingredients out and easy to reach.
The first step was to put a cup of flour into their bag.
Then they zipped up their bags and smooshed it all together until the flour was all mixed it.
We then added some olive oil, salt and more flour into the bag.
Tip Two: Don’t expect perfection. The important thing is that they have fun. Their loaves weren’t perfectly shaped but it didn’t matter. They still tasted the same!
We greased mini loaf pans and each girl got two mini loaves out of one recipe.
We then let them rise. Because we used rapid rise yeast it didn’t take long – about 20-30 minutes.
Tip Three: Embrace the mess. Kids will be messy and you will end up with flour all over the table and floor but they are going to have fun and so will you! Enjoy it. The mess will clean up quickly but the memories will last a long time!!
The bread then bakes for about 25 minutes or so when making a mini loaf.
All that was left to do was EAT!
For more Kids Can Cook ideas check out these.
Bread in a Bag Recipe
- 3 C all purpose flour divided
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 .25 package rapid rise yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 C warm water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- In a resealable plastic bag place 1 C flour, sugar and yeast and add in warm water.
- Squeeze air out of the bag and seal.
- Squish with your hands until well mixed together.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. Bubbles will form.
- Open bag and put in 1 C of flour, oil and salt.
- Seal bag again and squish until well blended.
- Add last cup of flour and continue mixing in the same manner until well blended.
- Remove dough from bag and put onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide dough in half and place each half into a greasedmini loaf pan. Or make one large loaf
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!