These banana muffins are light and tender with a hint of cinnamon and are topped with a delicious streusel topping. All you need are three ripe bananas.
When you have lots of ripe bananas you need to use up be sure and check out my very favorite banana bread recipe along with these delicious banana bars and if you are in the mood for a cookie try these banana oatmeal cookies with nutella!!
Banana Bread Muffins
Whether you are looking for something for breakfast or just an after school treat, these banana muffins are the answer. You can have fresh, warm muffins out of the oven in about 30 minutes. It is quicker than making banana bread and you get the same delicious taste.
Banana Bread Ingredients
If you have ripe bananas you probably have just about everything you need to make these banana muffins on hand.
- Bananas – 3 ripe bananas. You want the bananas to be soft and have brown spots on the skin . If part of the actual banana is brown that’s fine, you just don’t want the whole banana to be brown. That is too ripe! Just add the ripe banana into the mixer bowl and let the mixer smash it up, no need to smash them up before adding them in. Ripe bananas have more sugar in them which helps make the muffin sweet.
- Sour Cream – you can also use plain Greek yogurt if you don’t have sour cream on hand.
- Vegetable Oil – this is going help make the muffins nice and tender. There is no butter in these muffins so the oil is your fat.
- Cinnamon – this is definitely optional but I love a hint of cinnamon in my muffin.
- Streusel Topping – this is the best of the muffin for me! A topping of brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. The muffins are delicious without it too if you prefer. Sometimes I’ll just sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar over the top of them before baking if I’m not making the streusel topping.
How to Make Banana Muffins
Mix your wet ingredients together in your mixer bowl – oil, bananas, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Add in sugar and mix until combined.
Add in flour, salt and baking powder. Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix, this will give you a tough muffin. You want a tender muffin!
I always like to line my muffin tins to make the muffins easier to remove. You can also spray the muffin tins if you don’t have liners.
Fill your muffin tins 2/3 full. Be sure and leave room for the streusel topping. I like to use this scoop to make sure I have evenly sized muffins.
Mix together the streusel ingredients until it is crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the muffins, about 1 Tablespoon per muffin.
Bake at 375 degrees F for about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for about ten minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.
Can You Freeze Banana Muffins?
Muffins freeze really well. They can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days or a few days longer if kept in the refrigerator. They can be kept in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Allow them to thaw on the counter after removing them from freezer.
More muffin recipes:
- Orange Marmalade Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- Lemon Almond Muffins
- Cinnamon Roll Muffins
- Lemon Streusel Muffins
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Banana Muffin Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 3 bananas ripe
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix together oil, bananas, eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add in sugar until combined
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined and moistened.
- Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp streusel topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
If you’ve tried these Banana Muffins or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.