Orange Marmalade Muffins are a tender muffin that is infused with orange goodness. Despite it’s name, there is no marmalade involved.
Wouldn’t life be wonderful if we could wake up every morning to the smell of fresh muffins baking in the oven!? When we had kids at home we often celebrated “Muffin Monday” and I would get up and and fix a batch of fresh muffins to tart the week off.
One of our favorites was this recipe for Orange Marmalade Muffins. Now, if you are ready to make them right now but think you can’t because you don’t have any marmalade – no worries! The recipe doesn’t even call for marmalade just lots of yummy orange juice and zest , so all you need is 2 oranges.
How to Make Orange Marmalade Muffins
- Start by creaming your butter and sugar and add in the eggs.
- Mix your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then gently stir the mixture into the wet mixture. The trick with muffins is to not overstir. I always do it by hand instead of the electric mixer to avoid overmixing. To be sure you get evenly sized muffins use a scoop . This is my favorite one for muffins
- Buttermilk substitution: if you don’t have buttermilk add 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of regular milk.
- When you peek into the oven to see how they are doing, don’t be alarmed. They are suppose to look that way. The center will rise higher than the sides creating a little valley in your muffin. This valley is perfect for absorbing all the delicious orange goodness you are going to spoon over the muffin.
- While they are baking, mix together your orange glaze. Don’t mix up the brown sugar too much – you want little lumps of brown sugar goodness to soak into those warm muffins.
- Pour the orange juice, zest and brown sugar mixture over the muffins right after you pull them out of the oven, while they are still in the pan. They must be warm!
- Be sure and coat each muffin entirely as you pour the glaze over them.
- Remove them to a cooling rack but don’t let them cool for too long or don’t even let them cool at all! Just pop them in your mouth!!!
Can I Make These as a Mini Muffin?
I have made them as a mini muffin and they work great. You will get about 36 mini muffins from this recipe which makes 12 regular size muffins.
You will need to adjust your baking time though. Bake them at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Check them at 9 minutes with a toothpick. When the toothpick comes out clean they are done.
Serve them for breakfast, brunch or they would be wonderful for a tea party too! They taste great after they are cooled too but I like them best warm!
This recipe was originally found over at Pioneer Woman.
Serve these orange marmalade muffins with these breakfast favorites:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Orange Marmalade Muffin Recipe
- 2 oranges juiced, 1/2-2/3 cup juice
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- orange zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and mix until combined.
- Add flour into the butter mixture and stir together using as few strokes as possible. Over stirring makes for tough muffins.
- In a small cup or bowl, combine the buttermilk, baking soda and orange zest.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the muffin batter and mix until just combined.
- Grease muffin tin and fill 2/3's full with muffin batter.
- Make for 12 to 17 minutes until golden brown.
- While muffins are baking, prepare the glaze. Juice the 2 oranges and add to the brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Stir until combined but don't worry about dissolving the sugar completely so that it will give it a grainy texture.
- Pour mixture over warm muffins right after removing them from the oven while they are still in the muffin tin.
- After glaze has absorbed, remove muffins from muffin and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Originally posted Feb. 26, 2010
If you’ve tried this Orange Marmalade Muffins or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.