Find all the flavors of apple pie ala mode in this Apple Pie Ice Cream. A cinnamon based ice cream laced with chunks of apple and cinnamon graham crackers.
What You Will Love About this Recipe
The beginnings of Fall have arrived. The cooler mornings that I love, the leaves beginning to change and lots of apples at the Farmer’s Market!
Apple Pie Ice Cream is the perfect way to enjoy those apples. It has all the flavors and things I love about apple pie but in a homemade ice cream form. There are yummy, cinnamon and sugar coated apples along with the crunch of cinnamon graham crackers all in a cinnamon based ice cream.
- Milk. This recipe uses a combination of whole milk, heavy whipping cream and half and half for the best flavor and texture. If you can’t get half and half where you live, you can replace it with half milk and half whipping cream but if it is available, I recommend using it.
- Vanilla Extract
- Apples. I like to use a tarter granny smith apple since the ice cream is so sweet.
- Butter. Salted or unsalted is fine
- Graham Crackers. I used cinnamon graham crackers but you could also use regular graham crackers.
How to Caramelize Apples
The apples are caramelized and then cooled before adding them to the ice cream.
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Saute apples in butter in a skillet.
- Add in 3 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and cook until browned and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove apple mixture from pan and allow to cool.
How to Make Apple Pie Ice Cream recipe
- Whisk up ice cream base ingredient and put into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream has thickened up and is done churning, stir in the cooled caramelized apples and broken up cinnamon graham crackers.
- Pour ice cream into an insulated ice cream container or freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stored in an airtight, insulated ice cream container it will last for a week or so. Because it doesn’t contain any preservatives it won’t last as long as store bought ice cream. After a week it will begin to develop some ice crystals.
This homemade ice cream recipe is designed to be made in an ice cream maker and is not meant to be a no churn ice cream.
You can use whatever your favorite is. I like to use Granny Smith apples because they are a nice tart apple and that helps balance out the sweetness of the ice cream
For more delicious apple treats try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Apple Pie Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 large apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 cinnamon graham crackers broken into small pieces
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Saute apples in butter. Add in 3 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and cook until browned and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Crush graham crackers
- Combine milk, 1 1/4 C sugar, salt, half and half, vanilla extract, whipping cream and 2 tsp cinnamon into the ice cream maker.
- Process until done.
- Stir in caramelized apples and crush cinnamon graham crackers
- Put in freezer to harden up.