This Apple Cake recipe is moist, delicious, and full of caramel and apple flavor. The perfect fall dessert, it tastes just like fall.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe was from my mom and is one she made regularly because everyone loved it. This fresh apple cake is the perfect way to welcome fall and literally tastes just like fall (if fall had a taste!)
It also smells just like fall thanks to the cinnamon spiced cake that is full of chunks of apple. Serve it warm and drizzled with my favorite homemade caramel sauce along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have heaven.
Does anything else scream fall as much as apples and caramel!!
- Apples. I like to use a Granny Smith apples
- Flour. I use unbleached all purpose flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Baking Soda
- Nutmeg and Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
- Pecans, optional. Can also use walnuts.
How to Make Apple Cake
- Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy using an electric mixer or use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients, flour, spices including nutmeg and cinnamon, baking soda and salt into wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
- Stir in apples, vanilla, and nuts if desired until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use your favorite apple. I like to use a more tart apple to offset the sweetness of the cake. I often use Granny Smith, Honeycrisp apples, Gala apples or Fuji.
The cake can be stored covered in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days.
Apple cake freezes great. Be sure the cake is completely cooled and wrap in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, place in refrigerator and allow to thaw.
Check out more of my favorite apple recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Apple Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups tart apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup pecans optional for cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 pan.
- Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add apples, nuts if desired and vanilla.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve with caramel sauce and ice cream if desired.