These Almond Bars are chewy and crunchy all at the same time and you aren’t going to be able to stop eating them!
I am a fairly new fan to nuts in my baked goods. I have to admit for years I thought I didn’t like nuts. I still don’t like nuts in my chocolate chip cookies or brownies but I have discovered that there are certain baked goods that I love them in. These Almond Bars are one of them. I am definitely a big fan of almonds and almond flavor. I often add almond extract into recipes that don’t call for it because I love it so much. These bars have the perfect balance of chewy and crunchy thanks to almond extract and slivered almonds.
I have been doing a major clean out, throw away and organization of my kitchen the last few weeks. I’ve gone through every cabinet and drawer which included the cupboard with all my cookbooks in it. I decided I was only going to keep the cookbooks I really love and get rid of the rest. I got a little distracted from all my cleaning and spent some time going through old cookbooks. In all my perusing I found today’s recipe for Almond Bars in the cookbook from Rosie’s Bakery. I made a few changes to it and love how they turned out!
The only thing I didn’t like about this recipe is that you make it in an 8 x 8 pan. I wish it made more! Next time I’m going to double the recipe. But then again, maybe I shouldn’t, it gives me twice as many to eat!
These almond bars start with a shortbread base and then are topped with a creamy and yummy almond topping.
My favorite kitchen items I used to make these ALMOND BARS:
PARCHMENT PAPER SHEETS – These precut sheets of parchment paper are a total time saver in the kitchen.
8 x 8 GLASS PAN – I prefer baking in glass over metal and these are the glass pans I love. I have them all different sizes
Almond Bars Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment or spray bottom of pan with baking spray.
- Mix together flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Add in butter and use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until it looks like coarse meal.
- Add in cold water and mix with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Press dough into bottom of pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.Remove from oven and turn oven up to 400 degrees F.
- Let base cool and mix together topping. In a saucepan, mix together cream, sugar and extract over medium heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Stir occasionally. About 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in almonds. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour warm topping over baked base. Make sure almonds are evenly distributed.
- Bake for 25-30 more minutes. Allow to cool. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the bars as they cool to loosen them. Cut into pieces after they cool.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.