Today we have a Recipe Redo and it is one of my favorite all time recipes. Tortellini and Sausage Soup. It is probably the recipe I have had the most requests for.
Everytime I have made it someone or multiple someones ask me for the recipe. Yes, it is that good. For years it was our family’s “traditional” Halloween Night meal. So I thought I would update it and add photos (yes, another post that had no photos) just in case you wanted to try it out for your pre-trick or treat meal this Halloween.
I got this recipe from my friend Vickie Maloney. I will be forever grateful to her for sharing this recipe with me. It is also a favorite I take to new mommies or sick friends and they always love it!
I usually use a sweet Italian sausage but a spicy one would be yummy too. In addition to the tortellini it has carrots, tomatoes and zucchini. I often top it off with some shredded Parmesan cheese too but forgot to add it for these photos.
What do you usually have for dinner before heading out to trick or treat or while you are waiting for the trick or treaters to show up?
Nothing goes better with a pot of homemade soup than some homemade bread. One we love to make is Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 5 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 8 oz. fresh meat or cheese tortellini (I use cheese)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage, remove from pan and drain.
- Set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add water,broth, carrots, tomatoes, basil, oregano, tomato sauce and sausage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Skim off any fat and stir in zucchini and tortellini.
- Simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until tortellini and zucchini are tender.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.