Snickerdoodle Muffins – Muffin Monday

I have decided that each Monday this school year is going to be Muffin Monday.

Snickerdoodle Muffins

It is one of the things I am going to do to make this last year of having a child at home full time special.  I decided I could be sad and depressed about the looming empty nest or I could celebrate this last year by creating special moments at every opportunity.

One thing we have tried to do as a family since our children started school years ago is to read scriptures together in the morning before they went out the door.  Depending on kid’s school schedules, some years have been easier than others.  The year we had someone in  elementary, middle school and high school was a bit tough. The years two of our children had before school choir (6:30 a.m.) was a bit of a challenge too but we managed.  You would think now that we only have one child at home it would be easier but it still has its challenges but we’ve been doing pretty good.  What better way to start your day than as a family, scriptures and a prayer.  It does set a nice tone to the day and when your 17 year old comments how much they enjoy starting their day like this you keep doing it!

So I decided on Monday mornings when we sat down to read I would have warm, fresh muffins for breakfast.  Tessa isn’t much of a hot breakfast eater first thing in the morning (gets that from her mother) but she does enjoy a nice fresh muffin!

Last week’s muffin was a Snickerdoodle Muffin.  What’s not to love about a Snickerdoodle Muffin? We love Snickerdoodle cookies at our house, Snickerdoodle blondies and even Snickerdoodle cupcakes!

The crunchy sweet sugar/cinnamon topping is delicious and melts in your mouth!  They were great warmed up in the microwave the next day with a bit of butter melted on top too.

Snickerdoodle Muffins

So we have a lot of Mondays left in the school year so I’m going to need some new muffin recipes to try – if you’ve got a favorite muffin recipe please share!

Snickerdoodle Muffins

Snickerdoodle Muffins – Muffin Monday

• 2 C flour
  • ¾ tsp. baking soda
  • ¾ tsp. cream of tartar
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ½ C butter,softened
  • 1 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • Muffin Topping:
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • Grease a 12-cup muffin tin
  • Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl
  • In a separate bowl, combine softened butter, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla
  • Mix well
  • Combine this mixture with the dry ingredients and mix lightly just until combined
  • Do not over mix
  • Mix together cinnamon and sugar for muffin topping
  • Fill your muffin tins with batter and then top each muffin with the cinnamon/sugar mixture -Use a lot!
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

Comments

camie says:

Lately my kiddos can’t get enough cinnamon & sugar toast so they’re going to love these. We’re sure enjoying trying to keep up with your recipes!

Laura says:

I love the tradition of reading scripture together in the morning with your kids. It’s such a calming way to start the day, so that you’re really grounded as you face the challenges that each day brings.
    The muffins look fantastic! I am definitely adding these to my list to try – we love snickerdoodles in this house!
    Laura recently posted..Scavenger Hunt Sunday

Jeanette says:

These look delicious! I am going to check out your other snickerdoodle links as well. Here are 2 of my favorite muffin recipes:
    Pumpkin cream cheese~
    Lemon Topped Blueberry~

avril says:

Ahhhh warm muffins! – nothing better! I look forward to making some of these for my family soon!

Happy Monday Leigh Anne!
    ~avril :-)
    avril recently posted..Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

We LOVE muffins at our house too! Here are a few of my absolute favorites and go to muffins:
    mom’s whole wheat muffins
    Banana Bread Muffins
    (plus both these freeze well)

By the way, I love your blog! You have a great recipes and radiate such a fun personality. Thanks for sharing!

Beth says:

I am so making these! Yum!!

I love Muffin Monday! These look delicious and you have such beautiful photos.

edyB says:

These look so good … noooo not licking the monitor…
    Thanks for sharing!

Valerie H. says:

Those look good. Jeanette posted my favorite muffin recipe from Melscafe.
    Really, really good!

Megan says:

We love the Mini Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins found here!

kelly says:

what a nice tradition of the muffins and the scriptures! you are a great mom!!

Barbie says:

This is that year for me with one in every school including college. We started back again today trying the 7 a.m. reading. I may have to save the muffin monday idea for when my youngest is 17. That gives me 12 years to get it together.
    Barbie recently posted..Menu Planning Monday

Susan52 says:

Wow, these sound wonderful and easy. I’m already an empty nester, but my husband will love these muffins!
    Susan52 recently posted..Bling My Bra – For a Great Cause

julie says:

wow – i read this email this morning before i went to the gym….and i came home and made them – EASY!!! and so i got to wake up my sweet girls to warm muffins this morning…thank you so much for the inspiration….and my girls said they were like coffeecake muffins….

Krystal says:

What a great way to start your week off! I’m not a breakfast person at all, and muffins are perfect for me.

These look wonderful. I’ve made Peabody’s snickerdoodle muffins many times, love them!
    Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) recently posted..Apple Pie

Cheryl says:

What a great way to start the day and week!
    My family loved these muffins: http://lovinfromourovens.blogspot.com/2010/10/apple-studel-muffins.html

Elizabeth S. says:

My favorite muffins are Barefoot Contessa’s Banana Crunch Muffins. They have bananas, coconut, and nuts. The recipe can be found herehttp://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/banana-crunch-muffins-recipe/index.html

Wendy B says:

They are baking right now. My house smells so good. I hope they taste half as good as they smell.
    Thank you so much for all the recipes!
    Wendy

Lizzy says:

Made these with your son last week, they were SO amazing!

Leigh Anne says:

Lizzy,
    Thanks for feeding my boy. He loves anything snickerdoodle!!

Christina says:

These are really good. We made them for the volunteers at our church. They are surprisingly moist and simple to make. My son could’t wait to try them once they were out of the oven.

Star says:

I’m going to make these for my son’s teachers as a Teacher Appreciation Gift!
    I know they’ll love them!!!
    Of course I’ll keep a few for myself… LOL

k says:

I made these the other day and they were pretty tasty! I can’t decide whether I liked them better hot or cold. Thanks for sharing!