I was a little hesitant to share another corn recipe with you after the Blueberry Corn Salad – No Comment Incident but I hope you trust me now and know that I wouldn’t steer you wrong!!
We had another fun Potluck BBQ over Labor Day weekend. As I’ve mentioned before, potlucks are one of my favorite times to try new recipes and this party was no exception.
I had bookmarked another recipe for fresh corn and since it is corn season I figured I better give it a try while I could still get fresh local corn.
The salad was a hit at the potluck and I took home an empty dish – always a good sign.
Unlike the Corn and Blueberry Salad this corn is cooked. You actually husk the corn and roast it right on the cob – do not cut the corn off the cob until after you have roasted it
I put Jim in charge of the roasting. He got a little distracted by some of the weeds in the garden and when he came back a couple of the ears were on fire! Fortunately we had a few extra ears!!
The best part of this salad is the yummy vinaigrette but I didn’t read Recipe Girl’s instructions well enough and just poured all the vinaigrette over the corn mixture . I ended up draining part of the vinaigrette off because it was a little too soupy. The flavor is amazing though and the combination of the corn, red onion, red pepper and the lime in the vinaigrette is wonderful!!
The recipe says the flavors are better if you make it ahead 12-24 hours. I didn’t plan that far ahead and it still tasted great.
I found this recipe over at Recipe Girl.
- 5 ears corn on the cob, shucked
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 C light mayonnaise
- 1/2 C seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs granulated white sugar
- 3 medium limes, zest and juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grill the corn, dry, no oil.
- Cut the kernels off of the corn after grilling and place them in a large bowl
- Add the bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeno
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, lime zest and juice
- Whisk to combine the dressing ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables (you may wish to dress the salad lightly and not use all of the dressing, so add a little and then assess if it needs more) and toss gently
- Servings: 8
- Flavors are better if make it 12 to 24 hours ahead of time