I think my collection of “To Try” recipes has tripled since I got onto Pinterest! One recipe that caught my eye a few days ago was for a Salted Caramel, Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie from the Diary of Daves Wife. What’s not to love!?
Caramel, chocolate, salt and the crunch of a pretzel. Sounded good to me so I thought I’d give it a try. I decided to use the chocolate chip recipe I have had for years as a base.
The original recipe uses butter flavored Crisco. I am always an advocate for using “real” food, i.e. butter in all my cooking but I have to admit there is something about the butter flavor Crisco in this recipe that I like better. The flavor is great in both versions but I like the texture better when they are made with shortening. So once in a while I cook with Crisco.
For this version though I used real butter. I was feeling healthy today.
I love a little crunch in my food and the pretzels provide that. They also give that nice sweet/salt combination that I love.
Between the pretzel crunch and saltiness, the chocolate chip and the caramel bit you’ve got all kinds of flavor sensations going on in your mouth!!
For my Portland people the only place I have found the caramel bits is at Target in the grocery section. They are made by Kraft and are with the chocolate chips. If you can’t find them you cut up some of those square Kraft caramels (or get your kids to do it!)
Dress up your chocolate chip cookie with a little crunch, caramel and salt!
Did you know that next month, October, is National Cookie Month. Today’s recipe is to get you in the mood. Watch for more cookie recipes soon and a fun cookie giveaway too.
- 1 C butter flavored shortening or butter
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C milk chocolate chips
- 1 C caramel bits
- 1/2 C broken pretzel pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In your mixer cream together shortening/butter with brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and beat until combine.
- Add in vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and stir until combined.
- Do not over mix.
- Add in chocolate chips, caramel bits and pretzels.
- Drop by spoonful onto a prepared cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Cool on sheet for five minutes and then move to a wire rack.
- Makes 3 dozen.