These soft and delicious Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Buttercream scream fall and are sure to become a family favorite.
Last week I was in charge of a ladies craft night at church. And we couldn’t have a get together without some kind of treats. I needed a pumpkin fix so I decided to try out a couple of new pumpkin recipes for the event. And I’m happy to report that these pumpkin sugar cookies were a huge success. I was repeatedly asked if this recipe was on my blog, so here it is!
I love a good sugar cookie and the addition of pumpkin to the cookie makes it nice and soft and adds a great flavor. The dough is very soft but it is still workable. If you find yours is just too soft to handle, put it in the refrigerator for a bit. After forming into a ball, dip the bottom of a glass into sugar and flatten the cookie. I always line my cookie sheets with parchment paper.
I have to admit, as good as the cookie is, I really love this cinnamon buttercream frosting. I am a frosting girl and eat cake so I can have frosting. If you aren’t a frosting person feel free to leave the frosting off because these cookies totally stand on their own.
But if you are a frosting fan like I am, be sure and top these babies with some cinnamon buttercream.
Love sugar cookies? Here are my other favorite sugar cookie recipes:
Here are my must have items for baking pumpkin sugar cookies:
These half sheet baking sheets are my absolute favorite. Parchment paper is a must have item for me, no matter what I am baking. And after they bake, I always let them cool on my favorite cooling rack.
Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Recipe
Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C canned pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 C sugar for pressing
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 Tbsp milk or whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a mixer, cream powdered sugar, granulated sugar and butter.
- Add in oil and mix until combined.
- Add in egg yolk, vanilla and pumpkin puree, mix until combined
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Add this dry mixture to wet mixture.
- Dough will be stick. If it is too sticky to work with refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll dough (2 Tbsp) into a ball and place on covered cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Dip the bottom of a glass into the 1/2 cup sugar (grease or moisten the bottom of the glass to get sugar to stick) and press into each cookie, to about 1/4 inch thick. Dip glass into sugar between each cookie.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and butter.
- Add in milk until a nice spreading consistency is found.
- Frost cookies.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.