Start the week off with easy and delicious with this Slow Cooker Chinese Pot Roast. A fun Asian inspired twist on your classic pot roast recipe.
Some other fun pot roast variations include this BBQ Pot Roast and a yummy Southwestern Pot Roast. The Perfect Slow Cooker Pot Roast is perfect and the Slow Cooker Parmesan Honey Pork Roast is one of the most pinned and viewed posts on my blog.
Chinese Roast Beef
I love a good pot roast done in the slow cooker. Not just because it’s easy and delicious but I also love the way my house smells when it’s cooking. It is comfort food at it’s finest and all seems right with the world when there is a pot roast cooking away.
Today I’ve got another fun flavor variation for you and this one has an Asian twist to it.
Chinese Pot Roast Ingredients
The recipe uses some fun Asian flavors you can find on the Asian aisle of your local grocery store, including soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Asian chili sauce, and Five Spice Powder. Don’t let these ingredients scare you away. They are all things I keep in my pantry. But if you don’t, they are easy to find in your grocery store. I even have a make at home version of hoisin sauce if you’d prefer to make your own.
How to Make Asian Pot Roast
- Sprinkle roast with Five Spice Powder and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots and the parsnips. You could also use potatoes or turnips if you’d like.
- Combine hoisin sauce, honey, water, ketchup, soy sauce and Asian chili sauce.
- Pour sauce over top of roast
- Cook for 7 hours on low until the meat is nice and tender.
- Shred the meat and serve over rice and garnish with green onion.
- Pour some of the leftover sauce on top for extra flavor and moisture.
How to Make Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- 3/4 C thick BBQ sauce
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Chinese five spice powder to taste
- Mix together
What Cut of Meat is Best for Pot Roast?
I prefer to use a boneless chuck roast for my pot roast. It has great marbling and makes a nice tender roast when cooked in the slow cooker. You can also use a round roast.
Can I Make This in the Oven?
To convert a slow cooker recipe to the oven set your oven to 325 degrees F and place ingredients in a covered oven proof dish. If the recipe calls for the food to cook for a certain amount of time on “Low,” divide that number by 4 to get the oven time at 325 degrees F. If the dish needs to cook in a slow cooker on “Low” for 8 hours, it will only take 2 hours, covered, at 325 degrees F.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Asian Pot Roast Recipe
Chinese Pot Roast
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce see note for homemade sauce recipe
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Asian Chili Sauce
- 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 turnip or parsnip peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces or potatoes cubed
- green onions garnish
- Mix together 1/2 C water, hoisin sauce, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, chili sauce in a bowl.
- Season the beef all over with the five spice powder and salt and pepper.
- Add carrots and parsnips to slow cooker.
- Add the beef and top with sauce mixture.
- Turn to coat beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until beef is very tender.
- Remove from cooker and shred the beef with two forks. Add in additional sauce to coat.
- Serve with vegetables over rice and garnish with green onion.
Tips & Notes:
3/4 C thick BBQ sauce
3 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Chinese five spice powder to taste
Recipe from Food Network Magazine