Start the week off with easy and delicious with this Slow Cooker Chinese Pot Roast. A fun Asian inspired twist on your classic pot roast recipe.
I love a good pot roast done in the slow cooker. Not just because it’s easy and delicious but I also love the way my house smells when it’s cooking. It is comfort food at it’s finest and all seems right with the world when there is a pot roast cooking away.
Over the years I’ve shared lots of different pot roast recipes. From your classic Sunday pot roast – The Perfect Slow Cooker Pot Roast to lots of fun variations on a theme. Slow Cooker Parmesan Honey Pork Roast is one of the most pinned and viewed posts on my blog or spice it up a bit with Southwestern Pot Roast.
Today I’ve got another fun flavor variation for you and this one has an Asian twist to it.
The recipe uses some fun Asian flavors you can find on the Asian aisle of your local grocery store, including soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Asian chili sauce, and Five Spice Powder. Don’t let these ingredients scare you away. They are all things I keep in my pantry. But if you don’t, they are easy to find in your grocery store. I even have a make at home version of hoisin sauce if you’d prefer to make your own.
How to Make Asian Pot Roast
The roast is sprinkled with the Five Spice Powder and placed in the slow cooker over the carrots and the parsnips. You could also use potatoes or turnips if you’d like. Then the sauce is poured over the top and it cooks for 7 hours on low. The meat gets so nice and tender and the flavor is delicious! Just shread the meat up and serve it over rice and garnish with green onion. Pour some of the leftover sauce over the top for extra flavor and moisture
Just don’t wait until Sunday to make this! It’s the perfect meal for any night.
Asian Pot Roast Recipe
Chinese Pot Roast
- 1/4 C hoisin sauce see note for homemade sauce recipe
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/2 C water
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Asian Chili Sauce
- 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 turnip or parsnip peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces or potatoes cubed
- green onions
- Mix together 1/2 C water, hoisin sauce, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, chili sauce in a bowl.
- Season the beef all over with the five spice powder and salt and pepper.
- Add carrots and parsnips to slow cooker.
- Add the beef and top with sauce mixture.
- Turn to coat beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until beef is very tender.
- Remove from cooker and shred the beef with two forks. Add in additional sauce to coat.
- Serve with vegetables over rice and garnish with green onion.
3/4 C thick BBQ sauce
3 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Chinese five spice powder to taste
Recipe from Food Network Magazine