The flavor of this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is spot on. Serve it over rice and a side of naan bread for a delicious dinner.
When I was in Utah last week I went out for Indian food with my kids and we had some delicious chicken curry. When I got home I was still craving it so I decided to make my own. My day was crazy so I knew it was a slow cooker kind of day. This recipe did not disappoint and it managed to satisfy my chicken curry craving and made having dinner ready on time so easy!
I used skinless, boneless, chicken thighs which is what I prefer when using the slow cooker. They don’t dry out as easily and I prefer the texture of the thigh over the chicken breast when cooked in a slow cooker. When I have time, I always like to brown my meat in a little oil first before adding it to the slow cooker but if you are short on time go ahead and skip this step.
After the meat is browned, add it to the slow cooker with some sliced carrots and diced onions as well as a mixture of coconut milk, curry, garam masala, ginger, garlic, jalapeno and some chicken broth. I used an entire jalapeno but if you’d like a little less heat just use half or leave it out. I’d give this dish a medium heat rating, there definitely is a little heat there.
I cooked it on low for four hours and then removed the chicken thighs and used a fork to pull them apart. Add a little cornstarch to some water and then pour it into the liquid left in the slow cooker and allow the sauce to thicken up for about 20 minutes. Add the chicken back in and it is ready to heat. I love to serve it over rice with a garnish of fresh cilantro. A side of naan bread is also a great way to enjoy this slow cooker chicken curry.
Printable Recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- 6-8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1-2 tsp canola oil
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Salt chicken on both sides and add to pan. Brown lightly on both sides.
- Place chicken, carrots and onion into 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Mix together coconut milk, basil, salt, pepper, garam masala, garlic, chicken broth, jalapeno.
- Cook on high for our hours or low or six hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Add cornstarch into water and mix. Add mixture into sauce in slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Add chicken back in and stir.
- Serve over rice or with naan bread.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!