Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a simple and delicious solution to dinner! Full of flavor and easy to make in your crockpot, you will have a beautiful dinner with little effort.
I love starting the week off with a good slow cooker dinner idea! If you need a little help and inspiration for what to feed the family this week, here it is. I always said that I don’t mind cooking, in fact I rather enjoy it. What I don’t enjoy is having to decide what to cook every single night. When my kids were younger and living at home I use to make each of them come up with one dinner idea for the week so I didn’t have to come up with all the ideas. Surprisingly enough they didn’t come up with anything too wild or crazy and I didn’t have to veto too often.
So today I’m going to help you with that never ending decision of what to have for dinner! Have Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff!
This particular recipe uses stew meat which I love because I can buy it all cut up, ready to go. All I did was brown up some onions and garlic in some olive oil in a pan first.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
I put those in the bottom of the slow cooker and then browned my stew meat in the same pan after having coated it with some paprika, salt and pepper. I have become a big fan of smoked paprika and that is what I used. You can use regular paprika but I love the extra flavor that the smoked paprika gives the meat!
Put the browned meat into the slow cooker too and then pour over some water and tomato puree. Then just add the lid and let it cook on low for about 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
The meat should be nice and tender and pull apart easily when it is done. I like to serve it with a nice wide egg noodle, that way it catches all the sauce. I topped mine with a little fresh parsley because it is just prettier that way.
Traditionally stroganoff has sour cream in it. Because my husband is dairy free I left it out and it was still rich and delicious. If you’d like it a little creamier and more traditional add in some sour cream.
I am often ask what kind of slow cooker I use. Here is my favorite slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. of stew meat cubed
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 12 oz. water
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- egg noodles
- sour cream
- fresh parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in heavy pan over medium heat.
- Saute onions until soft and browning around the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Mix together paprika, salt and pepper and place in a bowl or plastic bag.
- Toss the meat cubes in with the mixture and coat evenly.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in heavy pan and place beef cubes into pan in a single layer. May need to do in more than one batch. Brown on all sides.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Mix together water and tomato paste and pour into slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over egg noodles and top with sour cream and parsley if desired.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.