Roasted Vegetable Soup is full of amazing flavors including nutmeg, cumin and cinnamon. The roasted vegetables add a natural sweetness and depth of flavor to the soup that makes it the perfect fall meal.
Today’s recipe for Roasted Vegetable Soup is a new savory favorite. The combination of pumpkin with roasted vegetables makes a rich and flavorful soup. Roasting the vegetables gives them a sweetness and depth of flavor that takes the soup to a new level.
How to Roast Vegetables
This is the key to this soup so don’t skip this part.
- Cut your onions, peppers, carrots and potatoes up into large pieces.
- Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Roast in a 425 degrees F oven for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft and slightly charred.
How to Make Roasted Vegetable Soup
- Place the roasted vegetables and chicken broth into a blender and puree it up!
- Add in the canned pumpkin. Be sure and use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. They are usually next to each other on the shelf.
- Blend to desired smoothness.
- Place soup in a pan on the stove and add in cream and spices.
Dairy Free Vegetable Soup
If you want to make the soup dairy free, use coconut milk instead of half and half. The milk gives the soup a nice creamy texture but could also be left out all together.
What is Half and Half?
I have discovered that half and half is an American thing. If you are unable to find half and half in your grocery store, use a 1:1 ratio of milk and whipping cream instead.
What to Put On Vegetable Soup
I like to garnish the soup with some chopped parsley and chopped pecans. Pumpkin seeds are also a nice addition. I love the crunch nuts or seeds give to soup. You could also add a dollop of sour cream if you like.
Add this Vegetable Pumpkin Soup to your fall menu planning and it will quickly become a family favorite. It also freezes well and can be made ahead of time for a quick and easy dinner.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Roasted Vegetable Soup Recipe
Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 2 carrots largely chopped
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper cut into pieces
- 1 potato peeled and cut into quarters or eighths
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half or substitute coconut milk for non dairy
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place carrots, onions, potatoes and red peppers on cookie sheet and cover with olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 45 – 60 minutes or until vegetables are soft and slightly charred on the edges.
- Combine, chicken broth, garlic and roasted vegetables into blender and puree until smooth.
- Add in pumpkin and blend again.
- Return soup to pot and add in cream and seasonings. Heat gently, Stir often.