This Peanut Butter Pie is light and fluffy and full of peanut butter goodness. Crushed peanut butter cups on top are the perfect topping!Originally posted Oct. 14, 2009
I originally made this peanut butter pie for a pie competition at church. I didn’t win but my dish came home empty so I call that a winner. This last week we had a Christmas dinner at church and I was asked to bring a dessert so I decided this pie worked for a church dinner before, it would work again! The pie dish came home empty once again!
At church this weekend we had a party. Everyone was to bring a homemade pie or homemade soup. There was going to be judging and prizes awarded! I decided to take a pie.
My competitive edge went into high gear and I began searching through pie recipes. I decided not to do pumpkin or apple because I figured that everyone would do either pumpkin or apple given the time of year.
A few weeks ago on my Beach Babe escape weekend we had enjoyed an amazing piece of peanut butter pie and it had been on my mind ever since. In my recipe search I came across a recipe for peanut butter pie I have had in my files for years. It had been ten years or more since I made it but I remembered it being pretty good so I decided that it would be my pie contest entry.
The original recipe called for a graham cracker crust but since I can’t eat peanut butter without chocolate I made my crust out of chocolate cookies. (you can use Oreos too)
All I had in the cupboard was natural peanut butter so I added a little bit of salt – about 1/4 tsp. and a little bit of sugar (just to taste) to sweeten it up a bit. If you using regular peanut butter you will not need to do that.
The filling is a combination of peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and whipped cream and makes a nice light and fluffy filling – yum!
I added extra whip cream on top and some broken up Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups for an extra peanut butter punch and besides that it looked prettier.
Now wouldn’t you pick this pie as a winner? Well, the judges didn’t -so sad! An apple pie was the winner!
Some of my other favorite peanut butter desserts:
- 1 2/3 C graham cracker crumbs or chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/4 C sugar
- 6 Tbsp stick/cube butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C milk I used half and half
- 1 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 C heavy cream
- Combine crumbs, sugar and butter and press into a 9 inch pie plate
- Bake a 425 degrees for 9 - 10 minutes
- Let cool
- Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in milk, peanut butter and vanilla
- In a chilled bowl beat whip cream until it holds a stiff peak
- Stir one third of it into the peanut butter mixture
- Fold in the remaining whipped cream until thoroughly combined
- Pour filling into cooled pie crust
- Decorate top of pie with additional whipped cream and chopped candy
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight is better
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!