Tender and chocolatey with a cream cheese frosting, these Oreo cupcakes will be a huge hit! Your favorite cookie in cupcake form.
These cupcakes are as much fun to make as they are to eat. They are topped with half an Oreo cookie and the other half is hidden in the bottom of the cupcake. The cream cheese frosting will remind you of the cream filling of the Oreo cookie. They are the perfect addition to any party.
These Oreo Cupcakes are a double delight – a cupcake and a cookie all in one.
This recipe starts with a cake mix and I used a Devil’s Food cake mix but you could use any chocolate cake mix. If you have a favorite made from scratch chocolate cake recipe you prefer, you can totally use that.
How to Make Oreo Cupcakes
- Twist the Oreo apart. Place the half with the frosting into the bottom of the muffin wrapper (frosting side up) and the other half is set aside to be used on the top of the cupcake.
- The recipe calls for milk but I used buttermilk. For some reason I had FOUR containers of buttermilk in my refrigerator – don’t ask me why, I have no idea but I decided I needed to use some of it up!
- Fill each muffin liner 2/3 full of batter. I use an ice cream scoop to make sure I use an equal amount in each one.
- Bake according to the directions on the bake of your cake box.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes and then remove to finish cooling on a baking rack.
- After they are completely cool, use a decorating bag and a large star tip to pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
I love using cream cheese frosting on these Oreo cupcakes which mimics the cream filling of the Oreo but you could also use a regular buttercream frosting too.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Oreo Cupcake Recipe
- 1 box Devils Food cake mix or chocolate cake mix
- Eggs amount specified on back of cake mix box
- Oil amount specified on back of cake mix box
- Water remainder of the water amount specified on the box after adding 1/2 cup milk.
- 1/2 cup Milk or Buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 24 Oreos
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Turn on oven to 350 degrees
- Carefully pull Oreos apart and place one in each cupcake liner cream side up
- Mix together eggs, sour cream, oil, milk and water until combined and add to cake mix (for easy mixing, sift cake mix)
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3-3/4 full over Oreos
- Tap the pan gently on the counter to allow the batter to settle (If not, the cupcakes will have tall peaks from the Oreos at the bottom.)
- Bake according to back of cake mix box
- It may not take the full baking time
- Combine cream cheese and butter and whip until light and smooth
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar until desired consistency and taste