These Lime Cupcakes have the same yummy lime flavor as margarita cupcakes, without the alcohol!
Today’s wedding cupcake was actually a last minute addition to the lineup. I thought I had the cupcake menu figured out when I found a recipe for Margarita Cupcakes over at Good Things Catered.
I am a sucker for anything citrus so I knew I had to try them. Their test run proved to be highly successful and they made the final cut!
My only concern with them was the name – Margarita Cupcakes. Even though there is no alcohol in them I was afraid the mere mention of something alcoholic might scare the mainly Mormon crowd away. So they were renamed Lovely Lime Cupcakes.
I think that was a good move because they proved to be the most popular cupcake of the evening!
The cream cheese frosting held up great in the heat. Their light, refreshing lime flavor proved to be popular on that hot, hot evening.
I loved how pretty the lime zest looked in the frosting and the little slice of fresh lime was a pretty topper.
Lime Cupcake Recipe
- 2 C. all purpose flour unbleached
- 1 Tbsp instant milk powder
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 Tbps unsalted butter 3/4 cup, room temperature
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 C margarita mix or any basic sweet and sour mixer
- 5 egg whites at room temperature
- 4 oz. light cream cheese room temperature
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 cupcake pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, instant milk, baking powder and salt. Then set aside
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high until light. About 3 minutes.
- Next, beat in the vanilla extract. Then the margarita mix.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture until combined.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake molds.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
Lime Creamcheese Frosting
- Combine cream cheese, butter, lime juice, lime zest, and vanilla extract. Then beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in salt and sugar, mixing until combined.
- Place frosting in fridge until cupcakes are cooled and ready to frost
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, remove icing from fridge, and frost cupcakes.