Create an old fashioned ice cream soda like they use to serve at the local lunch counter at home! With just a few ingredients you can enjoy this delicious treat.
I am lucky to have grown up in the mid-west town of Kenosha, Wisconsin.
My high school was right downtown and we had an open lunch hour which meant we could leave the school at lunchtime. sometimes my friends and I would head over to the Woolworth’s, the local five and dime that was right downtown.
Woolworths had a little bit of everything. It was the Target of its’ day. I bought sewing supplies there and they even carried pet supplies and pets! The thing I loved most about Woolworth’s was that it had a lunch counter. (Thanks to Google Images I was able to find a photo of the actual lunch counter from my Woolworths!)
You could sit there on a stool and enjoy a hamburger or a grilled cheese sandwich and of course a milkshake.
One of my favorite things to enjoy at the soda fountain was a chocolate ice cream soda. Making the perfect one at home is so easy!
- Vanilla Ice cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Soda/seltzer water
- Whip cream
How to Make An Old Fashioned Ice Cream Soda
- Add chocolate syrup into glass. I like to start with a frosted or chilled glass. The amount of syrup you will add depends on the size of your glass. I used about 2 Tablespoons of chocolate syrup to 1/2 C soda/seltzer water.
- Add in soda/seltzer water.
- Scoop in scoops of ice cream.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Tips from Leigh Anne
- A fun flavor variation is to use chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla.
- Garnish with some whipped cream and a maraschino cherry or sprinkles for fun.
The last thing left to do is add a spoon and a straw and dig it!
Frequently Asked Questions
An ice cream soda is made with soda water, syrup, and ice cream. An ice cream float is made with soda and ice cream. Root beer floats or Orange Cream Floats are popular flavors for ice cream floats.
You can use any favorite flavors you have. Strawberry is another favorite at our house.
Try these other ice cream treats:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Old Fashioned Ice Cream Soda
- 2 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup seltzer or soda water
- whip cream and sprinkles to garnish
- Pour chocolate syrup and soda water into glass.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add in ice cream
- Top with whip cream and sprinkles.