This Sweet Potato Soup is the perfect cold weather dinner.
It snowed in Portland this last week and we may get more snow today! This only happens about once every five years so you have to take full advantage of it when it does. The whole town basically goes crazy and isn’t quite sure what to do with it. My favorite thing to do on a snow day, other than stay inside, is make a pot of soup.
Today’s recipe for Mashed Sweet Potato Soup is the perfect solution to snow or any cold winter’s night. The best thing about this soup, other than the great flavor, is how easy it comes together thanks to frozen mashed sweet potatoes. If you don’t have frozen mashed sweet potatoes you can make your own.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
I started by sautéing some onions in butter and then added that into the mashed sweet potatoes and chicken broth. For seasoning, I added in cumin, red pepper flakes, cilantro and some salt. If you like it a bit hotter, add more red pepper flakes.
Let it simmer for about 10 minutes or so and then add in some coconut milk and bring it back up to temperature and it’s ready to serve. Less than 20 minutes and you’ve got a delicious bowl of soup. I also like to give it a little squeeze of lime juice and some additional chopped cilantro when I serve it.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth depending on desired consistency
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- additional cilantro and lime for garnish
- Saute onion in butter until onions are soft.
- Add onions into sweet potatoes and chicken broth.
- Season with salt, red pepper fakes, cumin, and cilantro.
- Stir and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in cococnut milk and bring back up to desired temperature.
- Serve with a garnish of additional cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.