I am a strong advocate of living in the moment. Enjoying where we are. Not living in the future or the past.
That being said I couldn’t resist trying out some new Christmas cookie recipes this week despite the fact that Thanksgiving is still three weeks away.
Each Christmas holiday my girls and I along with other various family members and friends get together for a Cookie Baking Day. We always try out a few new recipes plus a list of all our family favorites.
I also work hard too to have a balanced cookie plate – a balance of flavors. Since most holiday cookie plates tend to be heavy in chocolate, caramel and peppermint I like to make sure there is always one or two citrus flavored cookies on the plate. I think this year today’s Lightly Lime Cookies just might make the cut.
These cookies are not overly lime, as the name implies they are lightly lime. Just a subtle hint of lovely limeness. The recipe calls for real lime juice and peel to give the nice subtle lime flavor.
The frosting is the crowning touch and has cream cheese in it. I think the cookies actually tasted better the next day. If you want to make them ahead of time just store them unfrosted in an air tight container and frost before serving.
For more lime goodness check out these recipes:
Lightly Lime Cookies
- 1 C butter softened
- 1/2 C sugar
- 3 tsps finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 C fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 C flour
Lime Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Lime juice enough to get right consistency
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a bowl beat butter for one minute. Add in sugar and mix until combined. Add in 2 tsp lime peel, lime juice and vanilla.
- Add in flour.
- Roll dough out onto a flowered surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into circles or desired shape using a cookie cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet for 11-12 minutes or until edges or lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Lime Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat softened cream cheese until smooth
- Add in powdered sugar and vanilla until combined
- Add enough lime juice until frosting is spreading consistency.
Recipe adapted from BHG
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.