Thanksgiving is almost here and I’m already thinking about what I’m going to do with the leftover turkey. Fiesta Turkey Soup is the perfect solution.
I just finished my second trip to the grocery store in preparation of our Thanksgiving meal. All our kids will be home for Thanksgiving so I’m really stocking up!! This year I am trying something new with my turkey. I am using Our Best Bites method and putting the turkey in a brine. Have you ever tried it? I’m a little nervous about it. I bought a big turkey in hopes that there will be plenty of leftovers. I always buy a bigger turkey than I need so I’ll be sure to have plenty of leftovers.
Every year, after gorging myself on Thanksgiving dinner, I am in the mood for something a little spicy. Mexican food is usually the first choice. This year I’m making this Fiesta Turkey Soup because it is the perfect answer to leftover turkey and the need for a little spice. Thanks to the leftover turkey this soup comes together super fast. The little bit of spice comes from using Rotel tomatoes and canned corn with peppers. It is the perfect amount of heat.
If you don’t want any heat just use regular diced tomatoes and regular corn.
I like to top my soup with a little sour cream, grated cheese and some chips. A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds a little extra flavor boost.
If you don’t end up with any leftover turkey you can easily use shredded chicken instead.
Here are some other great ways to use up leftover turkey:
Fiesta Turkey Soup Recipe
Fiesta Turkey Soup
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 3 cups chicken or turkey chopped
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 1 11 oz. can whole kernal corn with red and green peppers drained
- 1 10 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Toppings: sour cream grated cheese, tortilla chips
- Saute onion in a pan over medium heat in oil.
- Add in garlic and saute one minute.
- Add in all ingredients except toppings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.