Cinnamon breadsticks are bathed in butter, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and drizzled with a cream cheese glaze.
For some other delicious cinnamon treats check out these recipes for Cinnamon Butter Cookies, One Hour Cinnamon Rolls and Cinnamon Rice Krispie Treats.
Homemade Cinnamon Sticks
I have a hard time walking by one of those pretzel places at the mall. The smell alone is enough to stop me in my tracks. My favorite flavor is the pretzel with cinnamon sugar on it and the cream cheese frosting that comes on the side that you can dip your pretzel into – yum!
I decided to recreate the taste at home but instead of a pretzel I went with a cinnamon sugar breadstick with cream cheese drizzle. I like the yeasty softness of a breadstick over a pretzel although I love me a good pretzel too.
How to Make Cinnamon Breadsticks
- Proof the yeast. The trick to working with yeast is to make sure your water is the right temperature, not too hot and not too cold. The water temp should be 105-110 degrees. Check out my post on How to Proof Yeast for more tips.
- Mix together yeast mixture, flour, oil egg, and salt.
- Allow dough to raise about 30-40 minutes. I speed up the process a bit by preheating my oven to 150 degrees and then turning it off. I place my covered bowl of dough into the oven and it loves that nice warm environment.
- Roll the dough out into a 8 x 14 rectangle.
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into about 8-10 even pieces, about 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 inches side.
- Drap each strip of dough over your fingers and twist it together.
- Place each twist on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet and allow them to rise for about another 40 minutes or until about double in size.
- Bake them at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush them with some melted butter and give them a nice dusting of cinnamon sugar.
Cinnamon Stick Glaze
- Mix together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, whipping cream and vanilla.
- Add additional milk if drizzle is too thick or more powdered sugar if it is too thin.
- Place in a plastic storage bag and snip off the corner of the bag.
- Drizzle the cream cheese down the breadstick. The more the better!
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Cinnamon Sticks Recipe
Cinnamon Breadsticks with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1 cup warm water divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1 egg
- 1 /2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter melted
Cinnamon Sugar mixture
- 6 Tbsp sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In mixer dissolve yeast, 1/2 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 C warm water and allow yeast to proof
- Add in oil, egg salt, 1 1/2 C flour and remaining sugar and water to yeast mixture and mix.
- Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough and knead until smooth and elastic
- Place dough into a greased bowl and cover, cover and let rise for 40 minutes or until double.
- Punch down the dough and put onto floured counter and roll into a 8 x 14 inch rectangle.
- Using your pizza cutter cut into about 10 pieces.
- Hang the dough over your finger in the middle and twist the two ends together.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and allow to rise for another 20 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400 and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Drizzle with cream cheese glaze (see below)
Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- Soften cream cheese and mix everything together.
- Beat until a good consistency for drizzling.
- Place in a ziploc bag and snip off the corner.
- Drizzle over warm breadsticks.
Originally posted February 21, 2012
Leave a Review