Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are perfect for the holidays or just about any time!
When I was planning the menu for the bridal shower I hosted last week I knew there had to be at least one chocolate item on the menu. How can you have a party for a bunch of women and not have chocolate?
Since it is the holidays I thought it would be nice if it also had a holiday touch to it. What says Christmas better than peppermint? Chocolate and peppermint is a near perfect combination. That’s why I keep a bag of Candy Cane Hershey Kisses stashed in my desk drawer during the holidays. Shhh…don’t tell my family please!
Because of my love for candy cane kisses, Your Cup of Cake’s recipe for Holiday Peppermint Cupcakes had caught my eye. She had topped her cupcakes with a candy cane kiss.
I decided to add these cupcakes to my shower menu but just didn’t want to give up my stash of kisses so I decided to top the cupcake with crushed candy cane.
These chocolate cupcakes are rich and moist and the best part is the peppermint chocolate ganache that is on top of and inside the cupcake! It turns the cupcake into a chocolately, fudgy piece of heaven. I served these cupcakes twice. Once at the shower and then I took the leftovers to a luncheon the next day. They met with rave reviews both times and I think they may have even tasted better the second day. They were even fudgier after sitting in the refrigerator all night. (They have a cream cheese frosting so keep any extras refrigerated)
I must admit I did have a few moments of panic while I was making the cupcakes. After the cupcakes bake, while they are still warm you are to dip the tops of them into the peppermint chocolate ganache.
It looked so pretty.
The only problem was that my ganache was a little too thin and it began to run down the sides of the cupcake – not so pretty. Fortunately for me I have Lizzy of Your Cup of Cake’s phone number (she’s also my son Clark’s girlfriend) so we made a quick call to Lizzy for some advice.
Lizzy also suggested we poke a hole in the middle of the cupcake with a wooden spoon and fill the hole with chocolate ganache. Yum!!!
The crowning glory on the cupcakes though is the peppermint cream cheese frosting. The addition of the crushed candy cane adds a pretty touch and some extra peppermint flavor.
They also look great with candy cane kisses on top.
As my friend Alison said, “These are SO worth the calories!”
- 3 eggs
- ½ C water
- ¼ C milk
- ½ C oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 C sour cream
- 1/2 C butter
- 5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 6 Tbsp buttermilk or 5 ½ T milk, ½ T lemon juice
- 3 C powdered sugar
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ C butter softened
- 2 C powdered sugar
- ½- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the eggs, water, milk, oil and vanilla together
- Add in cake cake mix and sour cream until well blended
- Fill cupcake liner ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- While cupcakes are baking, make the peppermint ganache
- In a bowl, sift 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a small pan, melt butter and add cocoa and buttermilk and bring to a boil
- Pour mixture over powdered sugar and, add peppermint extract and stir until smooth
- Dip the tops of the warm cupcakes into the warm ganache and let cool before frosting
- You can also poke a hole in the middle of the cupcake with a wooden spoon and fill the whole with ganache
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy
- Gradually add powdered sugar
- Add extra sugar if needed for right consistency
- Add peppermint extract and beat again
- Pipe frosting onto cupcake and then top with candy cane kisses, crushed candy cane or even mint M & M's
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!