Peppermint Ganache Cupcakes are filled and dipped in chocolate ganache, topped with peppermint cream cheese frosting and have a sprinkle of candy cane on top.
These cupcakes are perfect for the holidays or just about any time! If you love the chocolate and peppermint combo check out this chocolate peppermint ice cream cake roll or chocolate peppermint sugar cookies
The Perfect Holiday Dessert
I love serving cupcakes for dessert at a party. They are the perfect serving size and they look so pretty on a serving plate. These peppermint ganache cupcakes are the perfect holiday dessert. What says Christmas better than peppermint? Chocolate and peppermint is a near perfect combination.
These chocolate cupcakes are rich and moist and the best part is the peppermint chocolate ganache on top of and inside the cupcake! It turns the cupcake into a chocolately, fudgy piece of heaven. Every time I have served these they have met with rave reviews. And if you end up with any leftovers, they taste even better the second day.
How to Make Peppermint Ganache Cupcakes
Prepare. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Combine. Mix together wet ingredients and then gently mix in cake mix and sour cream. Fold until combined.
Fill. Using a scoop, fill each muffin tin 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Ganache. While the cupcakes are baking prepare your ganache.
Frosting and Filling. After the cupcakes bake, while they are still warm , use a wooden spoon to poke a hole in the middle. Fill the hole with ganache and then dip the top of the cupcake into the ganache
If your ganache is a little thin, add a bit more sugar or let it sit for a few minutes and it will thicken as it sits. To prevent the ganache from running off the sides of the cupcake, just dip the middle of the cupcake into the ganache.
The crowning glory on the cupcakes though is the peppermint cream cheese frosting. Be sure to allow your cream cheese to sit at room temperature to soften up before making frosting. Use a decorating bag and a large star tip to pipe frosting onto cupcake.
The addition of the crushed candy cane adds a pretty touch and some extra peppermint flavor. They also look great with candy cane kisses on top.
As my friend Alison said, “These are SO worth the calories!”
For more peppermint treats try:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Peppermint Ganache Cupcake Recipe
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 6 Tbsp buttermilk or 5 ½ T milk, ½ T lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- ½- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the eggs, water, milk, oil and vanilla together
- Add in cake cake mix and sour cream until well blended
- Fill cupcake liner ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- While cupcakes are baking, make the peppermint ganache
- In a bowl, sift 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a small pan, melt butter and add cocoa and buttermilk and bring to a boil
- Pour mixture over powdered sugar and, add peppermint extract and stir until smooth
- Dip the tops of the warm cupcakes into the warm ganache and let cool before frosting
- You can also poke a hole in the middle of the cupcake with a wooden spoon and fill the whole with ganache
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy
- Gradually add powdered sugar
- Add extra sugar if needed for right consistency
- Add peppermint extract and beat again
- Pipe frosting onto cupcake and then top with candy cane kisses, crushed candy cane or even mint M & M's
If you’ve tried these cupcakes or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!