This Chocolate Meringue Pie recipe belonged to my Grandma Zola, you can’t go wrong with an old family recipe.
Today’s recipe is an old family recipe for Chocolate Meringue Pie. It actually belonged to my grandmother and I am lucky enough to have the recipe written in her own handwriting!
It is also so fun to have this photo of my Grandma Zola in her little kitchen in Southern California. I so remember that kitchen but didn’t remember how tiny it was.
Pie is one of my favorite desserts. There are a lot of pie recipes I love, but I think there is nothing quite like a homemade chocolate pie. Add a topping of meringue and you’ve just about got perfection.
How to Make Chocolate Meringue Pie
This recipe calls for a pre-baked pie crust. You can use a frozen one and just bake it up first. Or use my Perfect Pie Crust Recipe.
The chocolate filling is a mixture of sugar, whole milk, cocoa, vanilla, flour and egg yolks.
Mix the sugar, cocoa and a pinch of salt together and put them into a pan.
Add in the milk and egg yolks and stir until smooth
Then cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
You will need the 3 egg whites leftover from the pie filling, some sugar, a pinch of salt and a little vanilla. Beat the egg whites until stiff (they will fork a peak) and then add in the sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. You then cover the top of your pie with it. The trick here is you want to make sure that the meringue is totally sealed around the edges of the pie crust – no holes or filling peeking out!
Then the pie goes back in the oven for another 15 minutes or so until the meringue is nice and golden brown.
I let the pie sit for a bit so it is easier to cut and then it’s time to eat a piece!!
That would be a piece or two.
Like I said, nothing better than a homemade chocolate pie, especially when it is your grandmother’s recipe and it’s covered in meringue!
Check out more of my favorite pie recipes:
Chocolate Meringue Pie Recipe
Chocolate Meringue Pie
- 1 C sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa heaping Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp flour rounded Tbsp
- pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 9 inch small prebaked pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- few drops of vanilla
- Mix sugar, cocoa, flour and salt together in a pan.
- Beat egg yolks and add into milk.
- Add milk mixture slowly to dry mixture. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Cook on medium heat stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil and when thickened remove from heat and add vanilla
- When completely cool pour into baked 9inch pie shell.
- Beat 3 egg whites and pinch of salt until stiff.
- Add 3 Tbsp sugar and few drops of vanilla.
- Spread on top of pie and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Be sure to seal meringue to edge of pie crust so no air can get in.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!