Homemade biscuits baked in browned butter adds a depth, richness, and irresistible nutty flavor to your standard biscuit recipe.
Nothing makes me happier than a bowl of warm soup and a biscuit on a cold winter’s night. Actually, it doesn’t even need to be cold. The other day I was talking to my mom on the phone and discussing what we had been eating lately. That is a common topic of conversation in our family. She mentioned she had been thinking about and craving some potato soup. So she got me thinking about potato soup too!
I needed a quick and easy dinner that night and the perfect answer was baked potato soup. I had just enough time to mix up some browned butter biscuits to go with the soup. Soup and biscuits, comfort food at its finest.
In less than 30 minutes you can have some fresh baked biscuits to go with your creamy potato soup. These biscuits bake in a bath of browned butter and it takes the flavor factor way up!!
I love using my cast iron pan for baking my biscuits. While the oven is preheating I put the cast iron pan with 2 Tbsp of butter in it and let the butter melt and begin to brown in the pan as the oven preheats. Keep an eye on it though because the butter can go from lightly, golden brown to burned in a big hurry. You want the butter to just start changing colors, a nice golden light brown.
Find a detailed tutorial on how to brown butter here.
A few of my favorite biscuit making tips are to make sure your butter is cold and that you handle the dough as little as possible. I use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour.
Use a biscuit cutter or a round cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits, they should be about 1 inch thick.
Dip both sides of the biscuit into the browned butter and then place in cast iron pan. If you don’t have a cast iron pan you can use a glass baking dish too.
The browned butter gives the biscuit a nice golden brown color on top and you end up with a buttery, crispy bottom that is to die for.
A little more butter on the biscuit never hurt either!
Check out these other delicious biscuit or roll recipes:
Browned Butter Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter chilled
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place 2 Tbsp butter into cast iron pan or oven safe pan and allow butter to melt and begin to brown as the oven preheats. Watch it though so the butter doesn’t burn, you want the butter to be a light golden brown.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt , and baking soda in a bowl. Cut in the chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk gradually until the dough pulls away from the bowl and comes together. You may need more or less than the amount called for. Handle the dough as little as possible, don’t knead.
- Place dough onto a lightly flowered serve and pat dough out to 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or round cutter to cut biscuits.
- Dip top and bottom of biscuit into browned butter and place into dish.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave a Review