We have been on a bit of a broccoli kick at our house. I have to admit broccoli is one of those vegetables that I have learned to eat in my adult years. I was not a big vegetable eater as a kid and basically the only vegetable I would eat was green beans out of a can!
When my kids were young we had a rule that there had to be something green on your plate and you had to eat it! For my second son that was a bit more of a challenge than with the other kids as he decided he didn’t like anything green – except broccoli. So we had a lot of broccoli!! I discovered if I covered it in cheese he would eat it.
If you are looking for a yummy vegetable dish for your Easter menu Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan Cheese and Pine Nuts is a winner and I think even you picky eaters may just eat it.
I toasted my own pinenuts (beware: pinenuts are expensive. I buy mine in the bulk section of my grocery store). I just place them on a plate and then put them in the microwave for about three minutes or so until they begin to turn golden brown. Stir them once through the process so they don’t burn.
Place cut up broccoli on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Mix together to coat evenly. Sprinkle with salt.
Sprinkle with some fresh minced garlic and stir to distribute.
Place in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 -25 minutes. Stir to turn once half way through time. Broccoli should be tender crisp and the florets will begin to brown.
After it is roasted sprinkle it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Also give it a squeeze of lemon juice too!
This roasted broccoli would be a perfect addition to your Easter dinner or any dinner. I think we have had it at least once a week for the past couple of months!
To see the parties I link up to go here.
For other delicious vegetable dishes check these out:
- 4 to 5 pounds broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the broccoli into florets leaving on part of the stalk. Cut into bite size pieces.
- You should have about 8 cups of florets.
- Place the broccoli on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned. Toss half way through.
- Drizzle for lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pine nuts
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten