One of the things on my summer “To Do” list to to teach my girls to make whole wheat yeast bread. But today when the Cali and two of her friends wanted to do some cooking we needed something a little easier and quicker.
A few weeks ago I had made some yummy cheese bread I found over at My Kitchen Cafe.
I thought it would be the perfect recipe for them to try.
Yes, I know, I already shared a cheese bread recipe this week – Black Angus Garlic Cheese Bread. But as far as I’m concerned you can never have too much cheese bread!
We loved the Quick Cheese Bread that Melanie shared, a recipe she had found over at Cook’s Illustrated. This bread is super yummy and super cheesy. There is not only a layer of cheese on top and on bottom but chunks of cheese throughout the loaf! Cheesy!!
It was fun to watch the girls in the kitchen as they made their cheese bread. They made two loaves – one to give away and one to enjoy themselves.
The first step was to chunk up the cheese…
Then they got to use the kitchen scale to make sure they had enough.
Measuring and mixing.
And of course the cell phone was never far away.
Sprinkling the bottom of the pan with a layer of cheese – yum! Cheese on top, cheese in the middle and cheese on the bottom!
Happy girls waiting for their bread to bake!
It turned out great!
Another successful recipe to add to Cali’s college cooking repertoire!
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded on large holes of box grater (about 1 cup)
- 3 C (15 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 4-5 ounces sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1¼ C whole milk (2% milk may be substituted but don't use skim milk)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¾ C sour cream
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position in the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 5 by 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, then sprinkle ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese evenly in bottom of pan
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper to combine
- Using a rubber spatula, mix in cheddar cheese cubes, breaking up clumps, until cheese is coated with flour
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, egg, and sour cream
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined (the batter will be heavy and thick).
- Do not overmix
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan; spread to sides of pan and level surface with a rubber spatula Sprinkle remaining ½ cup Parmesan evenly over surface
- Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes
- Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; invert loaf from pan and continue to cool until warm, about 45 minutes
- Cut into slices and serve
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!