This weekend I helped with a women’s meeting at church. We served refreshments after the meeting and I was in charge of the menu. I wanted a balance of sweet and savory treats and of course it had to look pretty.
We went with a fall theme on the tables with pretty gold tablecloths. I pulled out all my fall decor to decorate the tables. (Please excuse the pictures but the lighting is terrible in the church!)
I created little name cards for each of the dishes because I am one of those people who just likes to know what they are eating. Check out my scrapbooking blog to see how I made them. I found the fun little easels for the signs at the Dollar Store – 2 for $1.00!
I will share the various recipes for the evening over the next few weeks but the first one I”ll share and my very favorite savory treat of the evening was the Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus. It is a Paula Deen recipe.
It only takes 4 ingredients and is fairly easy to put together and delicious to eat!
The most difficult part is working with the phyllo dough which can be a little delicate but just take your time and keep it covered so it doesn’t dry out as you work with it and you’ll be fine.
I used one stalk of asparagus cut in half in each wrap but the gal who did it for the event at the church used two full stocks. Gently brush the phyllo dough with melted butter and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place asparagus at the end of the dough and wrap.
Place on cookie sheet and gently brush with more melted butter and then sprinkle with more cheese.
- 1- 2 asparagus spears per wrap. I cut one spear in half but if your spears are small use two spears per wrap.
- frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed. You can get four wraps out of one sheet of phyllo dough
- ¼ C butter, melted per 4-6 wraps
- ¼ C grated Parmesan cheese per 4-6 wraps
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus
- Unwrap the phyllo and cut the stack in quarters lengthwise
- Keep covered with towel until ready to use
- Take 1 sheet of phyllo and brush lightly with some melted butter
- Sprinkle with some Parmesan.
- Place 2 pieces of asparagus spears on the short end of the sheet
- Roll up, jelly-roll style.
- Place each piece, seam side down, on a baking sheet
- Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with more Parmesan
- Repeat until all the asparagus spears are used up
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!