I’m ready. I’m ready for 2013. Ready or not I guess it’s here!
We had a wonderful holiday at our house. I LOVED having three of my five kids home and I loved all the craziness that comes with it. I loved all the cooking, baking, eating, playing, partying etc. that we had. But I am also ready to get back to a regular routine. It’s the same feeling I have each September. Ready for order and routine.
I’m also ready for more simplified meals and cooking. Today’s recipe for Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup is a good one for that. Soup made in the crock pot. One of my favorite childhood meals was tomato soup and grilled cheese. It is comfort food for me.
This soup is a combination of canned diced tomatoes, celery, carrots and onions put in the crock pot with chicken broth. Allow to cook on low for 5-7 hours.
About 30 minutes before you want to serve it you will make a roux – a combination of butter and flour. For a gluten free version you can use cornstarch instead of flour.
Add in a cup of the hot soup and mix.
Cover and allow to cook for another 30 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Check out my favorite crock pot here.
- 3 - 15 oz. cans of petit diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 C finely diced celery
- 1 C finely chopped carrots
- 1 C finely diced onions
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ C fresh basil, minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- ½ C flour
- 1 C freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ C butter
- 2 C half and half, warmed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Put tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions and chicken broth into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5-7 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving make the roux.
- Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add in flour.
- Stir constantly for about 5 minutes
- Slowly add in 1 cup of hot soup.
- Add in 3 more cups of soup and stir until smooth.
- Put all back into the crock pot.
- Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper
- Add in oregano and basil.
- Cover and let cook on low for another 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from:Dinnertool
For other easy crock pot meals check out these recipes:
Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken in the Crock Pot
Nifty Thrifty Sunday