These Browned Butter Cookies are amazing. The browned butter gives it a subtle and rich flavor.
I am a sucker for anything with browned butter in its title or its list of ingredients. It was the title Browned Butter Cookies that got me to buy an entire new cookbook.
My sweet sister in law gave us a gift certificate to a local bookstore for Christmas. Last weekend all three of us went to the bookstore to see what we wanted. We each got something. Tessa opted for Mindy Gledhill’s newest CD, Anchor. I think she has listened to it none stop since she brought it home. It is quite lovely so I don’t mind.
I didn’t have to go any farther than the second recipe in the book when I knew it was going home with me.
The cookie part is basically a nice soft sugar cookie. I found that like a lot of sugar cookies this one was actually softer and just as good the second day. I don’t know about the third day because we ate them all before then.
But what makes this cookie so good and what caused me to eat way too many of them is the browned butter frosting!
If you are a frosting fan like I am (that’s why we eat cake right? To have frosting) you are going to want to pile the frosting onto these cookies. I actually got out my cake decorating tips and piped it right on! Not only do you get more frosting that way but it looks prettier. I just used one of my big round tips (sorry my tips are so old the numbers are worn off most of them!)
- 1 C butter, softened
- 1 C sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2⅓ C flour
- ½ C butter
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ C heavy cream or ½ and ½
- Mix butter and sugar together in a bowl
- Add in egg yolks, salt, soda and vanilla
- Stir in flour and mix until combined
- Form dough into one inch balls
- Chill dough on a cookie sheet for about 1 hour in the refrigerator
- Dip the bottom of a drinking glass into sugar and then press the ball of dough flat (about ¼ inch) Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a minute and then remove to a cooling rack
- In a small pan brown butter over medium heat
- Watch closely
- Allow it to just turn golden brown, flecks will appear
- Butter will get foamy
- Stir often to make sure it browns evenly
- Remove from heat and cool slightly
- Add in powdered sugar, vanilla and cream
- Beat in mixer on medium high until it has a creamy texture
- Frost cooled cookies
recipe from 101 Gourmet Cookies for Everyone by Wendy Paul