Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce is a classic sauce that is rich and hearty. It is cooked low and slow in the crock pot.
When it comes to pasta and Italian dishes I will always choose a bolognese sauce. A bolognese is a classic Italian meat sauce. It can be served over pasta or used in a lasagna.
One of the tricks to a really good meat sauce is letting it cook long and slow. The longer it simmers, the thicker and richer the sauce gets. The slow cooker is the perfect place to let that happen!
What Kind of Meat Should I Use?
I like to use a combination of ground beef and ground pork but you could use all ground beef if you prefer. Traditionally, it is also made with pancetta but we are using bacon instead which is easier to find.
- Ground Beef/Ground Pork
- Seasonings. Parsley, Oregano, Basil
How to Make Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Saute vegetables in butter until soft. Add into slow cooker.
- Brown meat and add into slow cooker.
- Cook bacon until crisp and break into small pieces. Add into slow cooker.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and seasoning.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese
What Kind of Pasta Goes with Bolognese Sauce?
I typically use a basic spaghetti noodle because that is what I usually have in my pantry but I also love it served with a thicker noodle such as tagliatelle, pappardelle and fettuccine. The thicker noodle gives that yummy sauce more real estate to hold onto. This sauce also makes a wonderful lasagna.
For other pasta dishes try these:
- Macaroni Grill Penne Rustica
- Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Chicken Sausage Pasta
- Vegetable Pasta
- Pasta e fagioli
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce Recipe
Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- 4 strips bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beaf
- 56 oz. cans crushed tomatoes two 28oz cans
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute vegetables in butter for about 5 minutes.
- In another pan brown hamburger
- Cook bacon until crisp and crumble
- Add everything into slow cooker
- Add tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cook on low for 6 hours
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted November 14, 2013