Welcome to Day Two of Eat Cake! How did you like that amazing Chocolate Cake!?
Today’s cake is for you non-chocolate lovers!
Does anything taste better than butter? Just browned butter!
Well, another amazing way to enjoy browned butter is with cinnamon and on a cake!
Today’s recipe is an easy cake recipe. I made it in a 9 x 13 pan and it starts with a yellow cake mix. You just add in some browned butter, water, eggs and cinnamon and you have a lovely light and moist cake. The best part though is the frosting!
The frosting also has browned butter in it which makes it the best part as far I’m concerned. Don’t get me wrong – the cake is great too but the frosting is amazing!!
If you have never browned butter before it is easy. The only trick is you have to watch it, don’t leave it alone because it goes from golden brown to burnt in a matter of seconds! Stir it in a pan over medium heat until the butter just starts to turn golden (will take about 5-8 minutes). The butter will get foamy and bubble. Remove it as soon as it just starts to turn golden – if you don’t you will have burned butter cake! You will be dividing the browned butter between the cake and the frosting.
Land O’Lakes Recipe Collection
- 1 C butter
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 C water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4-5 Tbsp milk
- (remaining browned butter from cake above)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, until butter JUST starts to turn golden (5-8 minutes)
- Butter will be foamy and bubble
- Immediately remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes
- Combine ½ C browned butter and all remaining cake ingredients in large bowl
- Beat at low speed 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat, scraping bowl occasionally until well mixed - about 2 minutes
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean Cool completely
- Combine remaining browned butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in small bowl
- Beat at medium speed gradually adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency
- Frost cooled cake