Apple Strudel Muffins}Muffin Monday

What is it about Fall that just says apples, cinnamon and nutmeg?

When I asked for muffin recipes on my very first Muffin Monday post, Cheryl graciously sent me the link to this recipe that is on her blog.  She has a food blog that she does with her three sisters and her mother – how fun is that.  The recipe originally came from AllRecipes.

Apple Strusel Muffins

The recipe calls for diced apple and grated apple.  I only had two apples so I just diced them both.  The muffins were delicious but I think next time I would definitely add the 3rd apple – the more apple the better.

Apple Strusel Muffins

The recipe also calls for cinnamon chips.  I could not find any cinnamon chips at the 3 stores I went too.  I think it may be just a little early in the holiday baking season.  I usually see them near Christmas though.  So I got a little creative and I went to our local Great Harvest Bakery where they make delicious cinnamon chip bread and asked them if they would sell me a pound of their cinnamon chips – and they would!  Their chips are small, even smaller than a mini-chocolate chip.  They worked great in the recipe but I think a full size chip would be a bit nicer – I like the idea of biting into a burst of cinnamon.  I’m thinking of throwing a handful of those chips into pancakes, oatmeal cookies etc.

Just be sure and keep them in the freezer or refrigerator because if they get warm at all you will end up with one big huge cinnamon chip!

Apple Strusel Muffins

The only other change I made was that I used my Penzey Baking Spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg – used 1 teaspoon.  If you have a Penzey’s near you be sure and check out it.  We now have a second one in Portland – located much closer to me in the Pearl District!

These Apple Strudel Muffins were a big hit at Muffin Monday and I know they will be making an appearance again!

Apple Strusel Muffins

Apple Strudel Muffins}Muffin Monday

• 2 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 1/2 C white sugar
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 3 apples, peeled (1-shredded and 2 chopped)(I used Galas)
  • 1/2 C cinnamon chips
  • Topping
  • 1/3 C brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp butter

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pan.
  • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg (or Penzey's Baking Spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg).
  • In another bowl, beat the butter, sugars and eggs together until smooth.
  • Mix in vanilla.
  • Add in apples and cinnamon chips.
  • Gradually add in the flour mixture. Note that this is a thick batter.
  • Spoon the mixture into greased or lined muffin pan.
  • Topping:
  • In another small bowl combine the topping ingredients: brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
  • Cut in butter until mixture is like course crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
  • Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.

Comments

Rebel mel says:

I made these last week! So good! With mine I threw in caramel chips and turned them into caramel apple muffins ;)

Paula says:

I have never heard of cinnamon chips! What are they?
    I love the idea from Rebel mel above, putting caramel chips into them. Who doesn’t love caramel apples?
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Paula recently posted..Our Trip to Boston

Leigh Anne says:

Cinnamon chips are just like chocolate chips only cinnamon flavored. They usually have them out at the holiday baking season in the baking aisle

Cheryl says:

I am glad your family enjoyed these! Love reading your blog!

Megan says:

I was looking for a yummy recipe for my mom’s group this Thursday – I think these muffins are going to be it. I LOVE cinnamon chips, so that really sealed my decision!

Katie says:

I live in Canada but have only heard of cinnamon chips from your blog. Are they available in Michigan or Georgia? I have friends who might be able to ship some to me. What is the brand name?
    I recently contacted Hersheys (in the States) and they informed me that they no longer make cinnamon chips.
    Thanks for the great recipes. We are making muffins every Monday and your Pasta Rustica is a family favourite. Keep up the great work.

Emmy says:

Thanks for sharing, I will definately try this recipe.

I just saw Hershey’s cinnamon chips at one of my grocery stores so I think they still make them??? Here is a website where you can order the type of chips I bought from Great Harvest – they are a small, mini chip but taste great! http://www.preparedpantry.com

Heidi says:

For what it’s worth, I’ve used both the Great Harvest chips and ones that I have been able to find seasonally (made by Hershey, I believe), and the Great Harvest ones are much better. The Hershey ones have an odd texture and not enough cinnamony taste for me. You can also order them from King Arthur, but they are spendy.

Solveig says:

Yum! Just ate one warm…right out of the oven. I used dried cherries instead of chips. Thanks for sharing!!

Patti says:

Because of your link to Prepared Pantry, I am now $85 poorer! I LOVED browsing their site (obviously), and can’t wait to get my “stuff.” Thanks for the link!
    The muffins look fantastic. They’re going to the top of my to-make list. Looks like another winner! Are we best friends yet? Just wondering! :)

Solveig – hope those muffins were yummy. Love the idea of adding the dried cherries.

Patti – definitely best friends. What goodies did you buy??

Hannah says:

Just made these and they are so yummy! I am having a hard time not eating them all LOL!
    Hannah recently posted..Wordful-Wordless Wednesday!-fun in the snow

I made these this morning with caramel chips. They were fantastic. I can’t wait to try them again with cinnamon chips!
    Tara Mitchell recently posted..Magical Memory Monday – Minnie’s House

Nancy says:

I finally found cinnamon chips at the store. For any East Coast readers you may have, Wegman’s carries the Hershey’s cinnamon chips. They also carry Marie Callendar’s cornbread mix (which I can’t find anywhere else out here) and in my opinion is the BEST cornbread mix.

Lori says:

How many “Muffin Size” muffins does this recipe make?