So if you are a fan of my Facebook page you may have seen my status update yesterday… “In need of some dinner inspiration – what’s for dinner tonight at your house?”
I was struggling yesterday, trying to figure out what to have for dinner. I hadn’t done any meal planning for the week and that always makes for problems! If someone would just tell me what to make every night life would be so much easier!
Thanks to all of you who shared what you were having for dinner – it all sounded fabulous. Even Victoria who was hopefully getting dinner out!
I ended up pulling some spaghetti sauce out of the freezer but decided to dress up the dinner a bit with a batch of homemade bread sticks. I have been experimenting with different bread stick recipes for over a year now. Trying to find just the right one. I have to admit I am a fan of those yummy bread sticks they serve at Olive Garden so when I was going through old magazines and throwing them away I was excited to come across a copycat recipe for Olive Garden bread sticks in my Food Network magazines.
I’ve made them twice in the last week and have to say they are pretty darn close!
The recipe makes about 16 bread sticks which is too many for my reduced size family so last night I cut the recipe in half and it still worked great. Eight bread sticks was enough for dinner and a few for leftovers too.
I mixed the dough up in my Kitchen aid and rolled it out on the counter. I made a foot long log of dough (it would be two feet if you were doing a full batch).
Then I cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
Then rolled each piece into a nice 7 inch long bread stick.
Then just find a nice warm place (I use the inside of my oven preheated to 150 degrees and then turn it off) and cover them and let them rise.
Then cover them in a nice coating of melted butter, garlic powder, salt and oregano.
Then bake them and get ready to enjoy! Of course, like any bread, they are best eaten warm right out of the oven!!
They were perfect with the spaghetti, roasted asparagus and spinach salad I served for dinner. Not bad for an uninspired day!
- 1 package yeast (2¼ tsp)
- 4¼ C flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- To make the dough place ¼ c warm water in a bowl and sprinkle yeast on top.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Add the flour, sugar, butter, salt and 1¼ C plus 2 Tbsp warm water to the yeast mixture and mix in mixer until a sticky dough forms.
- Add some additional flour and continue mixing until a nice soft, smooth dough forms.
- Place on floured counter top and roll into a 2 foot long log.
- Cut into 16 even pieces. Roll each piece into a 7 inch long breadstick.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place breadsticks about 2 inches apart. Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Make the topping and brush the breadsticks with ½ the mixture before baking.
- Bake until lightly golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- After you remove from the oven brush with the remaining butter mixture.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!