Last week I got a text from a friend of mine. She wanted my address to mail me a almond torte that she wanted me to try to recreate. To quote her text: “I’m DYING to figure out the recipe to this. I LOVE this pastry thing cuz it reminds me of my grandmother who I swear used to make this.” The torte was made by a friend who wasn’t giving up the recipe! So her package arrived two days later via Priority Mail.
I did a little Googling and came up with a couple of recipes I thought might be close and set to work.
Lucky for me I hit it on the head the first try! All of the recipes had basically the same ingredients – flour, butter, sugar, extract and almonds. I just did a little tweeking.
After mixing everything together I put it into a greased 9 inch springform pan. I lined the bottom of the pan with parchment paper to make removal easier.
I then sprinkled it with some sliced almonds and a little more sugar. The trick with this recipe was getting the cooking time correct. You want the cake to be nice and moist without the edges drying out too much. I decided for my oven baking it at 350 for 35 minutes and then covering it with foil for another 5-7 minutes was perfect. The cake will be soft and gooey in the middle if you can’t wait and cut into it before it cools but once it cools it’s just right!
The inside is just right, moist and full of yummy almond flavor. The top had a nice little crunch to it thanks to the sugar and almonds.
This torte would be perfect as dessert (my neighbor topped his with some ice cream), served at a brunch or breakfast as a coffee cake or just as a treat! I can’t think of a time when this Almond Torte wouldn’t be just right!
When I texted my friend to let her know I think I had done it and that I actually thought my version was better than the one she sent me, she got a little excited. I sent her the recipe and she made it right then and there.
Here’s her text: “Eaten 2 pieces. I’m gonna be sick (from eating too much). Yours is better. You’re right!”
So here’s my question. Do you have a recipe you won’t share? One that’s an old family secret?? Lucky for you I don’t. I share all my recipes!!
For some other yummy almond flavored treats try these:
- ¾ C butter, salted
- 1½ C sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1½ C all purpose flour
- ¾ C almonds
- 1 TBSP sugar
- In mixing bowl beat butter for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add in 1½ C sugar and beat for four minutes until fluffy.
- Add in eggs and extract. Beat on high until combined.
- Add flour and beat until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Line bottom of 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper (trace around the pan onto parchment and cut out circle) Lightly spray the pan.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with almonds and 1 Tbsp sugar mixed together.
- Sprinkle with sugar and almond mixture and bake at 350 for 35 minutes and then cover with foil and bake 5-7 more minutes so that center is set.
- Top will be be light brown and crispy on edge.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving. It will be slightly gooey in the middle until cooled.
- Enjoy - let me know!
Recipe adapted from here.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!