Tomato Basil Tart is the perfect combination of tomato, pesto and cheese. Makes a lovely side dish, a perfect brunch menu item or picnic fare.
This recipe came from my mother who had attended a luncheon with some of the ladies in her apartment complex and when she came home she was raving about this dish that someone had brought. I told her to get the recipe for me!! And she did, thanks mom. It has become a favorite since the first time I made it. My friend Jane asks me to take it to every potluck we go to!
How to Make Tomato Basil Tart
- I start with a store bought pie crust. Feel free to be an overachiever and make one from scratch! You can find my favorite pie crust recipe here. Bake it according to directions on the pie crust.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese on bottom of pie crust while it is still warm.
- Spread pesto over cheese layer
- After slicing the tomatoes lay them on a couple layers of paper towels and let them drain a bit. Then add the tomatoes on top of the pesto layer. I like to use Roma tomatoes but you can use your favorite.
- Combine mayonnaise, remaining cheese and pepper and spread on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake until golden brown for about 30 minutes.
How to Serve Tomato Basil Tart
Garnish the top with some shredded fresh basil after pulling it out of the oven. This tomato tart is delicious warm and it tastes a lot like a margherita pizza with it’s warm mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil and tomatoes. I love to serve this warm but it tastes amazing at room temperature or cold too, just like pizza does. Because it tastes good at hot or cold it is the perfect thing to take to a party or pot luck.
Check out more of my favorite tomato recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Tomato Basil Tart
- Pie Crust store bought
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 Roma tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil for garnish
- Bake pie crust according to directions on crust.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1/2 cup Mozzarella on bottom. Let cool.
- While crust is cooling, cut tomatoes into slices (about 1/4″ thick or thicker if preferred) and drain on paper towel.
- Spread layer of pesto over cheese.
- Place tomatoes over pesto layer.
- Combine mayo, Parmesan, pepper and remaining Mozzarella and spread on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned.