Chicken Tinga has a delicious smoky flavor and is so easy to make in your crock pot! Toss it into tacos, burritos or make a tostada with it.
What is Chicken Tinga?
Chicken Tinga is a classic Mexican shredded chicken dish that is made with smoky chipotle chile peppers in adobe sauce and cumin for lots of amazing flavor. Make sure to check out my beef tinga recipe too.
If you like a little heat feel free to add in some jalapeno peppers too! We tend to keep it pretty cool and calm at our house.
Chicken Tinga Ingredients
Chicken. I used chicken thighs for this dish because I love how moist they are but chicken breasts would work as well.
Chipotles in Adobe Sauce. This is the secret ingredient to this dish. These chili peppers give the dish a smoky and tangy flavor. I usually add 2 chipotle peppers but if you want more heat, add a few more. Use at least 1 Tbsp of the adobo sauce that the peppers are packed in for that smoky flavor..
Seasoning. Use a combination of oregano, cumin, garlic and salt.
Tomatoes. The recipe calls for fire roasted tomatoes but if you can’t find those a regular diced tomato will work. The fire roasted tomatoes provide an additional depth of flavor. If you have some good fresh tomatoes you could also use those.
How to Serve Chicken Tinga
Serve the chicken tinga like a tostada, on a crisp corn tortilla. Put a bed of brown rice on top of the tortilla then topped with the shredded chicken tinga. Garnish with a little green onion, cilantro and guacamole.
You can purchase your tostada shells at the store or I just fried up some corn tortillas in canola oil until they were nice and crispy. Then just load on your favorite toppings.
Can I Make this in the Instant Pot?
- Place all the ingredients into the Instant Pot.
- Cover and pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Quick release.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add chicken back into sauce and toss to combine.
For other slow cooker goodness try these:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Chicken Tinga Recipe
Crock Pot Chicken Tinga
- 2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 chipotle chile pepper in adobe sauce chopped (more if desired)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- cilantro guacamole, green onion for garnish
- Place chicken onion, fire roasted tomatoes, chipotle peppers, garlic, oregano, cumin in slow cooker.
- Turn on low and cook for 3 hours or until chicken pulls apart easily.
- Serve over rice on a tostada shell. Top with green onion, cilantro, guacamole.